ls -l displays numeric group id-not group name

ls -l displays numeric group id-not group name

Post by Phillip Rhode » Wed, 01 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I know this is a stupid question, but for whatever reasons, I think I
screwed up my passwd or groups file.  Is there a way to check the group
file and passwd files for problems?

Or maybe this isn't even the problem...

Thanks,
Phillip

ls -l displays numeric group id-not group name

Post by Jason Bradley Nanc » Wed, 01 Mar 2000 04:00:00

typically when groups show up as numbers that means that there isn't a group
associated with that GID.

Quote:> I know this is a stupid question, but for whatever reasons, I think I
> screwed up my passwd or groups file.  Is there a way to check the group
> file and passwd files for problems?

> Or maybe this isn't even the problem...

> Thanks,
> Phillip

ls -l displays numeric group id-not group name

Post by Rainer Scher » Wed, 01 Mar 2000 04:00:00

on most unix systems there are programs to check group and passwd.

please see the man pages (I don't have the names in mind).

man -k check

cu - rainer

Post by Jerem » Wed, 01 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> I know this is a stupid question, but for whatever reasons, I think I
> screwed up my passwd or groups file.  Is there a way to check the group
> file and passwd files for problems?

Either the group in question doesn't have a name (isn't in the group file),
or your /etc/group file isn't world-readable.  Make sure /etc/group has
permissions 0644.

--

Post by Spheniscus Pravu » Wed, 01 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> I know this is a stupid question, but for whatever reasons, I think I
> screwed up my passwd or groups file.  Is there a way to check the group
> file and passwd files for problems?

> Or maybe this isn't even the problem...

> Thanks,
> Phillip

And this "problem" of yours is somehow related to Web server software on
Unix platform? Ughhhhhhhhhhhh....

S.P.

ls -l displays numeric group id-not group name

Post by Michael Lo » Thu, 02 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Try running groups on a user

Example:

system daemon kmem tty opr lpr

If you don't see names, that means your group file is hosed

On Tue, 29 Feb 2000 22:47:36 +0100, Rainer Scherg