Apache htpasswd won't append to password file

Apache htpasswd won't append to password file

Post by Mike Bradl » Wed, 18 Sep 2002 04:17:41

I'm currently running Apache v2.0 on HP-UX 11.00.  The htpasswd
executable will not append to the password file.  I was able to
successfully create the file using htpasswd -c </PATH/file> <userid>.
When I execute htpasswd </PATH/file> <userid> it overwrites the
existing file.  I'm executing the command as root, and have not
received any errors.  The command returns:
New password:
Re-type new password:
Adding password for user mb6898

The previous entry is lost upon completion.  Only the last user
entered is able to access the pages protected.  Has anyone experienced
this problem and how were you able to resolve it?  I've check the man
pages, error logs, and FAQ, but haven't found anything that will help.
 Thanks in advance!

Apache htpasswd won't append to password file

Post by johannes m.r » Wed, 18 Sep 2002 05:05:54

As a workaround put the new entry into another file and then append it
(with cat newfile >> oldfile)
At the moment htpasswd seems to be quite borked, it should be much
better in the next version..
j.

1. user-password file permission of htpasswd - apache

Hi,

I want to provide a web page to allow users to update their password.
The Apache is running on Solaris(unix).

The web site is protected by access.conf, .htaccess., htpasswd with
Apache.

In CGI(perl), we want to use "htpasswd" utility to generate the
username and password store them in a file called "users".

The following is what I tested:
    The file "users" must be group writable to allow Perl CGI to
    call "htpasswd..." to change the password. There is a bad side -
from
    UNIX command line, any group user can manually call "htpasswd..."
    change someone else's password.

Is it possible to call "htpasswd..." in CGI while the file storing
user and
password pairs is writable only to administrator or specific person?

Thanks
Jimmy

2. savannah, sourceforge, seul, or berlios: disk space?

3. apache - setup of password file without using htpasswd

4. make complains that a file is in the future

5. Apache--->Can't find htpasswd file/compiled for IRIX 5.3

6. Help !!! HP-UX and SUN Administrator - Chicago Immediate Need

7. how to append one file's line to another file's line?

8. Linux on IBM H50.

9. Can't set root password- Password busy error -is not due to temp password file

10. How to generate password text for .htpasswd on Apache

11. Getting 'htpasswd' to work w/Apache & FreeBSD

12. Making htpasswd=user's password

13. Append to files in tar-file but don't change originals.