Apache Questions

Post by Dan Payn » Wed, 24 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I'm currently comparing the features offered by Apache against those of
Netscape Enterprise Server and am unclear on a few Apache issues:

Does Apache provide built in support for:

1. Multiple processors
2. SMTP
3. LDAP
4. CORBA/IIOP
5. Server-side scripting (in HTML pages) other than CGI
6. 3rd party SSL accelerator devices (Stronghold or Apache-SSL)

Any help with these questions would be much appreciated.

Dan

Apache Questions

Post by Thornton Prim » Wed, 24 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> I'm currently comparing the features offered by Apache against those of
> Netscape Enterprise Server and am unclear on a few Apache issues:

> Does Apache provide built in support for:

> 1. Multiple processors

Currently Apache forks processes on Unix and uses threads on NT.
In both cases, the operating system is left with the task to
distribute the load over multiple processors, if available. In
other words, Apache takes advantage of whatever SMP capablities
your OS provides.

Quote:> 2. SMTP
> 3. LDAP
> 4. CORBA/IIOP

Apache is a webserver and not, specifically, a SMTP, LDAP, or
CORBA server. I know that there is an Apache authentication
module for LDAP. Apache's ability to interface with SMTP and
CORBA would depend largely upon what you are trying to accomplish
but given the fact that the source code is open and there are
many example modules out there, anyone compotent in programming
any of these protocols should be able to write an Apache module
which does what you need.

Quote:> 5. Server-side scripting (in HTML pages) other than CGI

There are a number of modules that support server scripting. Most
notable being mod_perl and PHP.

Quote:> 6. 3rd party SSL accelerator devices (Stronghold or Apache-SSL)

These are products which expand on Apache. Because of trademark
and export license restrictions, SSL cannot be freely distributed
as Apache is freely distributed. To my understanding, though,
these products offer ful SSL support.

thornton

Apache Questions

Post by Marc Slemk » Wed, 24 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>These are products which expand on Apache. Because of trademark

Patent, not trademark.
Quote:>and export license restrictions, SSL cannot be freely distributed

Post by Bjorn Boru » Thu, 25 Jun 1998 04:00:00

| 5. Server-side scripting (in HTML pages) other than CGI

as for this question, you should check out PHP 3.0 (not to be confused
with PHP/FI 2.0!).

we have used PHP since its predecessor PHP/FI and we are very pleased
with both the performance and the ease of development with PHP 3.0.
once it is linked into your Apache webserver all you do is basically
write the code and point your browser at it.  it doesn't get any
easier than that.

once you get the hang of it (the language is trivial to learn as it
has syntax that resembles C / Perl) you may also want to explore the
possibilities of more "component-oriented programming".

we can call it award-winning now. PHP that is :-)

-Bj?rn
--

 <URL:http://www.pvv.org/~borud/>  | stuff with databases?  check out:
 <URL:http://www.guardian.no/>     | <URL:http://php.guardian.no/>

1. apache question, help please

I tried to install apache server using "httpd" on my local machine
running slackware. Although I tried to configure all the domain
names and IP address, but I was still unable to run httpd and I
keep getting the error message that says" Cannot determine the IP
address for ServerName (Name.Some-domain.com).

Can some experts out there give me some hints?

thanks!

yang

2. IBM ThinkPad 560Z - KPPP "Sorry, Modem not found"

3. newbie apache-question

4. Updating Apache Help

5. Apache question

6. serial port in matlab