forbidden access on symbolic links?

Post by Matt » Fri, 04 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hi all,

I've looked through the FAQ, but haven't found anything on this. This
situation is pretty baffling really. I have installed Apache 1.3.6 on AIX
4.3.2. I have a traffic program that runs some perl scripts. Under
/usr/local/apache/cgi-bin I created a symbolic link called traffic which
links to /usr/traffic/cgi . When I execute an script from the browser using
a script in the /usr/traffic/cgi directory, I get the:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /cgi-bin/traffic/router-report on this
server.

Error message. HOWEVER, if I delete the symbolic link and create a directory
called traffic, and just copy all my scripts from /usr/traffic/cgi,
everything works fine... Obviously, this is not the preferred solution...
The owner of /usr/local/apache/cgi-bin is root.bin. The owner of the traffic
link (or directory) under this cgi-bin directory is also root.bin. I've
tried it all with varying permissions, but stillhave this problem...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Matt

forbidden access on symbolic links?

Post by Bruce R Mill » Fri, 04 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> [...]
> Forbidden

> You don't have permission to access /cgi-bin/traffic/router-report on this
> server.

Have you set

  Options FollowSymLinks

(or Options All) inside your
  <Directory "/usr/local/apache/cgi-bin">
  </Directory>
in the configuration file?

[And have you considered whether you really want to do that?]

http://math.nist.gov/~BMiller/

Post by Miguel Cr » Fri, 04 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> When I execute an script from the browser using
> a script in the /usr/traffic/cgi directory, I get the:

> Forbidden

Two things to check:

1) <directory cgi-bin> options followsymlinks
2) check permissions on all directories and files involved

miguel

1. Too many symbolic links, Symbolic link loop

Hello,

I'm fighting with a FreeBSD machine. Roughly what I'm up to: I clean
installed FreeBSD, with the DES option. The goal is to set up an Apache
on the machine. Then I performed a rdist from a BSDI machine, importing
stuff like password file, user directories, user quotas, shells. The
Apache works
just fine, but when I try to run Perl I get stuck with the error
message:
"Too many symbolic links" (under bash), "Symbolic link loop" (under sh).
I've
scanned through my symbolic links w/o finding something striking.
Basically, the
links I have are "shortcuts to shells", some links to user logs...
Anyone seen this kind of problem? Anyone solved it? How?

        Cheers

                Michael
--
Michael Hallgren, Easynet France
Write : http://www.loria.fr/tex

2. Adding new hard drive for linux and windoze

3. Problem: access with passwd over symbolic link

4. Raid 1 Mirroring

5. Access symbolic links by Apache

6. limiting vhosts to a specific uid

7. symbolic link access problem

8. Ignoring specific boot messages / boot message redirection??

9. I wanna set the mod/access times on a symbolic link

10. symbolic link not a real link

11. kill symbolic link along with the linked file?

12. symbolic link not a real link

13. regular link of a symbolic link