2nd ed. of O'Reilly's "Apache: the Definitive Guide"?

2nd ed. of O'Reilly's "Apache: the Definitive Guide"?

Post by Prentiss Ridd » Fri, 19 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Has anybody seen the second edition of "Apache: the Definitive Guide"
yet?  (Written by Ben and Peter Laurie, published by O'Reilly.)  Or even
a well-written review?

Amazon.com lists it as not yet available but scheduled for release
later this month.  They've got a mixed bag of slams and praise in the
reader responses to the book, but the dates make it clear that at least
some of the responses must be referring to the previous edition.

I personally was disappointed by the first edition and didn't feel it
quite lived up to the O'Reilly standard, but I had hoped the second
edition would be better.  Anybody able to say whether it is?

-- Webmaster, Rice University / http://is.rice.edu/~riddle
-- Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.

2nd ed. of O'Reilly's "Apache: the Definitive Guide"?

Post by Randal L. Schwar » Fri, 19 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Prentiss> Has anybody seen the second edition of "Apache: the
Prentiss> Definitive Guide" yet?  (Written by Ben and Peter Laurie,
Prentiss> published by O'Reilly.)  Or even a well-written review?

I *just* got my ora.com notice about it today, so I can imagine that
it'll start going through the little conveyor belts to show up in real
life anytime soon now.

Prentiss> I personally was disappointed by the first edition and didn't feel it
Prentiss> quite lived up to the O'Reilly standard, but I had hoped the second
Prentiss> edition would be better.  Anybody able to say whether it is?

I haven't seen my review copy yet, but I can let you know when I
do. :)

Web: <A HREF="http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/">My Home Page!</A>
Quote: "I'm telling you, if I could have five lines in my .sig, I would!" -- me

Post by Alasta » Sat, 20 Feb 1999 04:00:00

>Has anybody seen the second edition of "Apache: the Definitive Guide"
>yet?  (Written by Ben and Peter Laurie, published by O'Reilly.)  Or even
>a well-written review?

I didn't know a 2nd edition was in the works. However, I have the first and
agree that it's not the best book O'Reilly have published. I'd be interested in
a new version - if it's an improvement.

--

Alastair

Post by Liam Gretto » Sat, 20 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> Amazon.com lists it as not yet available but scheduled for release later
> this month.  They've got a mixed bag of slams and praise in the reader
> the responses must be referring to the previous edition.

It looks like they're exactly the same reviews as used for the 1st edition
on Amazon...

--

Space Research Centre,                             http://www.src.le.ac.uk/
Physics and Astronomy Dept,                      phone +44 (0) 116 223 1039

Post by da.. » Sun, 21 Feb 1999 04:00:00

: Has anybody seen the second edition of "Apache: the Definitive Guide"
: yet?  (Written by Ben and Peter Laurie, published by O'Reilly.)  Or even
: a well-written review?

I was shopping for the first edition this week, (didn't know a second
was in the works) and my local bookstore owner  said that O'Reilly have just
moved there distribution point to Nebraska, and that they are 3 or 4
weeks behind in shipping. Too bad.

--
Danny Aldham      Postino Dotcom                     E-mail for Business
www.postino.com   Virtual Servers, Mail Lists, Web Databases, SQL & Perl

Post by John Sterlin » Fri, 26 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> Has anybody seen the second edition of "Apache: the Definitive Guide"
> yet?  (Written by Ben and Peter Laurie, published by O'Reilly.)  Or even
> a well-written review?

Just picked up a copy.  Not yet in a position to give a review.

Quote:> I personally was disappointed by the first edition and didn't feel it
> quite lived up to the O'Reilly standard, but I had hoped the second
> edition would be better.  Anybody able to say whether it is?

Any suggestions for better books, if the second edition isn't?  I am new to
hosting a web site and am not even sure what I should be concerned about
yet.  For now I don't expect heavy traffic, so am not overly concerned
about performance issues at this point.  But any pointers for a newbie are
appreciated.

John Sterling

2nd ed. of O'Reilly's "Apache: the Definitive Guide"?

Post by Patrick La » Tue, 02 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Has anybody seen the second edition of "Apache: the Definitive Guide"
>yet?  (Written by Ben and Peter Laurie, published by O'Reilly.)  Or even
>a well-written review?

I had pre-ordered a copy from Amazon, and received it last week.  I
guess it's more up to date that the first edition; for example, the
section on configuration during compile has caught up with the way
it's done now.  (Although I'd personally still like to see either a
better configuration system or documentation that clearly spells out
the difference between command-line and config file options, and what
can only be done one way.)  suExec gets more coverage (vs. the old
edition "it says don't do it, so don't do it!") but most of this is
copied more or less verbatim out of the documentation.  mod_perl isn't
even mentioned.

All in all, I look at this as "The Advanced Dummy's Guide to Apache"
instead of an O'Reilly "Definitive Guide."

2nd ed. of O'Reilly's "Apache: the Definitive Guide"?

Post by Michael Dearma » Sat, 13 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Check out 'Apache Server Bible' at amazon. Reviewing the customer
comments of both books leads me to think it's a much better book,
even with the deficiencies noted. I haven't decided yet.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0764532189/qid=921303331/sr=1-...

M. Dearman

> >Has anybody seen the second edition of "Apache: the Definitive Guide"
> >yet?  (Written by Ben and Peter Laurie, published by O'Reilly.)  Or even
> >a well-written review?

> I had pre-ordered a copy from Amazon, and received it last week.  I
> guess it's more up to date that the first edition; for example, the
> section on configuration during compile has caught up with the way
> it's done now.  (Although I'd personally still like to see either a
> better configuration system or documentation that clearly spells out
> the difference between command-line and config file options, and what
> can only be done one way.)  suExec gets more coverage (vs. the old
> edition "it says don't do it, so don't do it!") but most of this is
> copied more or less verbatim out of the documentation.  mod_perl isn't
> even mentioned.

> All in all, I look at this as "The Advanced Dummy's Guide to Apache"
> instead of an O'Reilly "Definitive Guide."

1. FS: O'Reilly-Apache The Definitive Guide

Apache is the most used web server on the net.

First edition, March 1997. In good condition, with a few creases, but
otherwise intact. Glue on the spine might be a little worn. Comes with
complementing CDROM which was never used.

It's $34.95 new, but will sell for $15 or best offer. Shipping is

2. How to update XFree86?

3. "Learning Perl, 2nd edition" from O'Reilly

4. Server Freezing Up.

5. "sed & awk, 2nd Edition" from O'Reilly

6. primes...factor

7. O'Reilly's "Open Source" summit

8. Problem Running XFree w/ ET4000 W32p

9. Tim O'Reilly's open letter regarding the Microsoft "Halloween Document"

10. RMS should be invited to O'Reilly's "Free Software Summit"

12. Why doesn't echo "text" 'command' "more text" work?