WWW webserver filter for "inappropriate" material on linux webserver...

WWW webserver filter for "inappropriate" material on linux webserver...

Post by Cyrus Meht » Thu, 28 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I dont want to et into a discussion about what innappropriate is.
Does linux or apache have some options to filter out some of the worst offenders for kids
and employees?

Cyrus

Post by Ron Klatchk » Thu, 28 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> I dont want to et into a discussion about what innappropriate is.
> Does linux or apache have some options to filter out some of the worst offenders for kids
> and employees?

If you configure your browsers to use Apache as a proxy server, you can
then use ProxyBlock to list sites which you do not want people to
access.

moo

Post by Richard Tilman » Thu, 28 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> I dont want to et into a discussion about what innappropriate is.

You don't?

Then why bring the subject up?

Post by Cyrus Meht » Fri, 29 Jan 1999 04:00:00

: > I dont want to et into a discussion about what innappropriate is.

: You don't?

: Then why bring the subject up?

Fine...
I am looking to ber able to filter out any */* content material on
my server.  Trying to build a home server for a familly with young kids...

Kinda like Net Nanny or safewatch,etc.

Cyrus

WWW webserver filter for "inappropriate" material on linux webserver...

Post by Troutm » Wed, 03 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>   This is nearly hopeless unless you have a staff which spends
>   all day searching through new sites for this stuff (or susbcribe
>   to some service that does it for you [are there even any generally
>   available - I dunno?]).

>   <soapbox>
>   That my kid might see pictures of * people is
>   about six millionth on my list of worries as a parent.
>   </soapbox>

<flame>
Why does everyone have to be such a gimp when questions like this come up?  If
it were only pics of * people - that would be one thing, but you are a
*ing idiot if you honestly believe that.
</flame>

Anyhoo - just use net nanny or another web sniffer on your PC.  Use the Linux
box a s a router, not a proxy.  That will give you the same desired effect.

    Mike Troutman
    http://www.veryComputer.com/
We drive you from us, whoever you may be, unclean spirits,
all satanic powers, all infernal invaders, all wicked legions,
assemblies and sects. In the Name and by the power of
usenet, may you be snatched away and driven from the
nntp servers and from the souls made to the image and
likeness of Vint Cerf and redeemed by the Precious *
of the Divine Lamb.

1. Can't use "www" url to webserver on LAN?

Last night my ISP switched my bridged ethernet ADSL connection to PPPoE.
<sob!>

I left the modem in bridged mode and installed roaring penguin. The install
went well and I am back online. Everything works; sendmail, vsftpd, ipop3,
and sshd. I have an unusual situation now that I really cannot figure out for
the life of me. I use no-ip.com for DSN. Previously, I could access my web
server as www.<FQDN>.com from Internet Explorer from the two XP machines on
my LAN. The linux box is a router for these two machines. Now, I can no
longer access the web server this way unless I drop the www part and do
<FQDN>.com. The web server is accessable to anyone outside the LAN with the
www.prefix. The linux box itself can access the web serve with the www prefix
in the URL.

Out of frustration, I downloaded and installed lynx for win32 on one of the
XP LAN machines and it has no problem with the www prefix in the URL. I can
still access the site on the two XP LAN machines, but only without the www
prefix in the URL.

When I try to use www.<my FQDN>.com, I get an "Under Construction" web page
that tells me there is no default page for this site. Also by trying to
access any page on the domain with the www prefix, I get "page not found"
messages and these are not apache messages but appear to be MS pages. Also,
the messages sometimes do not come at all and I get a timeout error.

I really do not understand this, nothing has changed but for switching from
bridged ethernet to a PPPoE ADSL connection. no-ip.com gives me DNS for the
www prefix, lynx has no problem with this, yet IE will not find the actual
site if the www prefix is used on either of the two LAN machines.

I could just skip the www prefix in the URL for local browsing but this
really is bugging the crap out of me because I just do not understand what is
going on, nor how to fix it. Can someone help please?

--
~Ohmster

2. SBC Yahoo DSL with Linux PPPoE

4. module problem: sound

5. Does Apache-SSL Proxy Server do a "ProxyPass" for WebServers running https ??

6. keax and linux

8. What can I do about this?

9. Apache webserver on Linux (RH 7.1) - and an internal Webserver - how would you set it up?

10. Linux-Webserver (SuSE 8.0) als Gateway für einen weiteren Webserver

11. How to distinguish "robot" and "normal user" in WWW?

12. alias: |"filter"|"/usr/lib/sendmail realuser"--Is this safe?

13. "iptables mark with filter fw" vs "u32 match"