How to shutdown apache httpd?

Post by Mathieu GUILLAU » Thu, 23 Jan 1997 04:00:00

: Hi! There,
:
: How to kill httpd? Like kill -9 [ID of httpd process]?
:
: Is there any tool to kick off and shutdown the httpd of apache?
: If not, then it proves Grandy Booch's "Software engineering is a chaos"
: correct :-(

It depends on how you run it. If it's run from a start-stop style script,
use this. Otherwise, somthing like the following should do it :
ps -auwx | grep apache | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}' | xargs \
-iX kill -9 X
If you 'kill' it, don't forget to remove the apache.pid file in /var/run or /var/run/apache (or the equivalent on your system).

                                        Mat

Post by Zhenghao Y » Thu, 23 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Hi! There,

How to kill httpd? Like kill -9 [ID of httpd process]?

Is there any tool to kick off and shutdown the httpd of apache?
If not, then it proves Grandy Booch's "Software engineering is a chaos"
correct :-(

- Yeh

How to shutdown apache httpd?

Post by Tony Curti » Fri, 24 Jan 1997 04:00:00

said:

Zhenghao> Hi! There, How to kill httpd? Like kill -9 [ID of
Zhenghao> httpd process]?

Zhenghao> Is there any tool to kick off and shutdown the
Zhenghao> httpd of apache?  If not, then it proves Grandy
Zhenghao> Booch's "Software engineering is a chaos" correct
Zhenghao> :-(

Apache maintains a file called httpd.pid (maybe
user-definable, the directory definitely is - see your
server config to find out where your pid file is) which
holds the pid of the master apache process.  Just grab the
pid out of this file and kill it.

--
Tony Curtis, Systems Manager            | Tel +43 1 310 93 96
European Centre for Parallel Computing, | Fax +43 1 310 93 96 13

Post by David W. Carrol » Tue, 28 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> said:

> Zhenghao> Hi! There, How to kill httpd? Like kill -9 [ID of
> Zhenghao> httpd process]?

> Zhenghao> Is there any tool to kick off and shutdown the
> Zhenghao> httpd of apache?  If not, then it proves Grandy
> Zhenghao> Booch's "Software engineering is a chaos" correct
> Zhenghao> :-(

> Apache maintains a file called httpd.pid (maybe
> user-definable, the directory definitely is - see your
> server config to find out where your pid file is) which
> holds the pid of the master apache process.  Just grab the
> pid out of this file and kill it.

> --
> Tony Curtis, Systems Manager            | Tel +43 1 310 93 96
> European Centre for Parallel Computing, | Fax +43 1 310 93 96 13
>     Vienna, Austria                     |
>                                         | http://www.vcpc.univie.ac.at/%7Etc/

Unfortunately, on my Linux system 2.0.18, killing the master process
doesn't kill the children.

David Carroll

How to shutdown apache httpd?

Post by Marc Slemk » Wed, 29 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Unfortunately, on my Linux system 2.0.18, killing the master process
>doesn't kill the children.

Really?  You are sending it a TERM (ie. "kill `cat httpd.pid`") and
not a KILL (ie. "kill -KILL `cat httpd.pid`") or a HUP or anything
else, right?

AFAIK, the only time when there is occasionally problems with
some children taking a long time to die is on highly loaded
servers.

1. httpd.h in Apache httpd server src tree

RE: line 72

#define Document_Location "/path"

Is "/path"intended to be the default location of the .conf files or the
default DocumentRoot to load a starting html index from if no DocumentRoot
is defined in srm.conf?

Fyi, a look at the source shows hard-coded paths and hrefs in the cgi-bin
sources as well, so one should probably run strings on the binaries before
using them, and make sure that those paths and URLs are what you actually
want for default behavior.

2. 3com c3509b pnp setup ?

3. translator from CERN httpd configuration rules to Apache httpd conf?

4. ISQL on Interactive 4.1 to Solaris x86

5. APACHE 1.1.1 httpd.conf and the "httpd -f ..." option

6. dhcp setup

7. Installing httpd to /var/httpd or to /usr/local/etc/httpd

8. non DDI/DKI callouts from solaris 2.5 drivers

9. *how to shutdown httpd server?? *

10. shutdown httpd without logging out

11. can't shutdown with 'shutdown'

12. How does one have KDE shutdown X after the shutdown sound is complete?

13. Cannot shutdown: shutdown already running (with kernel 1.2.13)