Username/Password limit on web authorization

Username/Password limit on web authorization

Post by Scott G. Matthew » Tue, 28 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I am running a fastcgi application on an apache v1.2.4 server where the
script is protected using the server username/password authentication
process.  Things have been going well so far but there seems to be a
limit to the number users that the server can take.  If I enter one more
user than 973, Any document I try to access I get a "Document contains
no data" error.  I was wondering if anyone has come accross this problem
and if there is anything I can do to correct it.

1. Limit retries for username/password-authentification

Hi everyone here!

I have a members area installed on my homepage, so that every user has
to type in his username and password. This still works good. I use

AuthName "Members area"
AuthType Basic
AuthUserFile /etc/httpd/passwd

require valid-user

But yesterday somebody tried thousends of passwords for a special
username to get out that password.
Is there any possibility to avoid such attacks?

Is there any option to limit retries for logins? Some examples:
- only 5 login-tries per Minute
- only 3 login-tries from one IP-Adress each day.

Or is there anything similar to this? What can I do to get rid of such
attacks?

Thanks for help!

Bye

2. TAR: SGI IRIX -> Solaris

3. How to remove the stored username password of a web side?

4. Caldera installation problems

5. 'last' command 8 character username limit

6. Harvest log error

7. Anyway around 8 char limit on username - OSF??

8. Motorola MCP750 : problem with IDE support on recent boards

9. Using /etc/passwd file for Web Authorization

10. username limits

11. username character limit

12. Username length limit - why?

13. Username Character Limit 2.5.1