1. Upgrade Apache package on Solaris 8 (yes again..)
I turned up a thread with the same name and question (Date: 2001-08-12)
but I am looking to fix what I have instead of ripping (pkgrm) and
replacing (build my own version in /usr/local/apache or /opt/apache).
I have Solaris 8 for x86 with MU4 and the Nov 14, 2001 'recommended and
security" patches. This comes with Apache 1.3.12. The latest version is
Apache 1.3.22. I have just started to play with Apache and want to keep
my setup as shipped (e.g. the directory layout, startup scripts etc),
just with the latest httpd.
What I want to do if it is feasible:
1. Get (probably by doing a ./configure, make on the 1.3.22 source) the
2. Copy this new httpd over the old one in /usr/apache/bin.
If that isn't going to work, my next thought was to:
1. Back up /etc/apache/httpd.conf and /var/apache/htdocs/index.html (as
far as my changes have got so far)
2. Compile from source using a bunch of configure options to recreate
the Sol 8 setup using the 1.3.22 version. e.g. ./configure
--htdocsdir=/var/apache/htdocs --logfiledir=/var/apache/logs (and no
doubt a bunch more that I can probably eventually find by spending some
time cross referencing "man apache" and "configure --help)
3. make, make install
4. put back my old httpd.conf and index.html
This would obviously be a bit more of a pain than option 1, but if it
will work as I want (same Apache setup as original on Sol 8 with the
updated httpd) I'll reluctantly give it a try.
The last thought was to leave well enough alone:
I noticed that Apache.org has no recommended patches for 1.3.12
Is it safe to stay at 1.3.12 at this time? The lack of patches from
Apache seems to imply this. Performance isn't critical for this test
setup but security is.
Or am I missing something blindingly obvious? Like a Solaris 8 x86
package for Apache 1.3.greater-than-20-or-so with Sun's eclectic
directory choices that I can pkgadd and get my preferred setup described
Thanks in advance.
Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.
2. cpu recognition
3. Upgrading packages on solaris
4. ppp works w/WINNT but fails in Linus
5. Solaris package upgrade
6. admintool & printer management
7. Upgrading Solaris Packages
8. What is this about 20$ Linux CDROM?
9. How to upgrade packages in solaris?
10. No upgrade option presented at Solaris 2.6 upgrade to Solaris 8
11. Apache 1.3.26 in Sun Solaris 8 package?
12. PHP package for solaris - apache
13. Why are some packages installed in all zones for Solaris 10, but some packages are not ?