Content-Location http header

Post by Sean Campbel » Thu, 13 Feb 2003 12:02:50

Is there a way to not display, or replace the "Content-Location" http
header? - in short, I have an app that is using templating, and because of
the "Content-Location" header returning the same page name, even though the
content is different, search engine spiders won't index any further than the
first page.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Content-Location http header

Post by Sean Campbel » Thu, 13 Feb 2003 12:04:40

Just to be pro-active, I have tried mod_headers, as well as overwriting the
header in code, which neither seems to work

Quote:> Is there a way to not display, or replace the "Content-Location" http

Post by Joshua Sli » Fri, 14 Feb 2003 00:35:26

> Is there a way to not display, or replace the "Content-Location" http
> header? - in short, I have an app that is using templating, and because of
> the "Content-Location" header returning the same page name, even though the
> content is different, search engine spiders won't index any further than the
> first page.

> Any help would be greatly appreciated

Can you provide more details about the setup or perhaps an example URL.
Are you sure it is the Content-Location that is the problem, or could
it simply be that the search engines do not "deep-index" pages that
look dynamic?

Joshua.

Content-Location http header

Post by Sean Campbel » Fri, 14 Feb 2003 07:13:43

The set up is using Oracle 9ias - apache front end, oc4j back end. From what
we have been able to discern, it is the actual header. The site uses the
Struts framework, so the actual urls submitted would be for example
(http://mysite/home.do), where ".do" is just a servlet mapping. When we have
tried to follow the one link that has been spidered, it actually contains
the full path that appears in the "Content-Location" header (i.e.
http://mysite/web-inf/jsps/bogus.jsp) which in this case can't even be
accessed. The feedback we get from third-party utilities that try to spider
the site is that it stopping because it has already indexed "bogus.jsp",
which in reality will always appear since it is template, where the actual
urls will be different as is above. This is where we've come to the
conclusion that if we could unset or at least alter what is being placed in
that header, we might have more luck.

Post by Joshua Sli » Sat, 15 Feb 2003 10:40:06

> The set up is using Oracle 9ias - apache front end, oc4j back end. From what
> we have been able to discern, it is the actual header. The site uses the
> Struts framework, so the actual urls submitted would be for example
> (http://mysite/home.do), where ".do" is just a servlet mapping. When we have
> tried to follow the one link that has been spidered, it actually contains
> the full path that appears in the "Content-Location" header (i.e.
> http://mysite/web-inf/jsps/bogus.jsp) which in this case can't even be
> accessed. The feedback we get from third-party utilities that try to spider
> the site is that it stopping because it has already indexed "bogus.jsp",
> which in reality will always appear since it is template, where the actual
> urls will be different as is above. This is where we've come to the
> conclusion that if we could unset or at least alter what is being placed in
> that header, we might have more luck.

To be frank, I'm not very familiar with how and when Apache generates
Content-Location.  My guess is that it is the servlet or servlet
engine that is
generating it, and not the core apache.  But that is just a guess.
You might
try a mailing list related to the particular servlet engine that you
are using.

Joshua.

Content-Location http header

Post by Nick K » Sat, 15 Feb 2003 17:12:59

Quote:> To be frank, I'm not very familiar with how and when Apache generates
> Content-Location.  My guess is that it is the servlet or servlet
> engine that is
> generating it, and not the core apache.  But that is just a guess.

Is it negotiated contents?  mod_negotiation gives you a Content-Location
to indicate what exactly it has resolved the request headers to.

I'm sure there are other cases where Apache will set it, but I
couldn't cite them OTTOMH.

--
Nick Kew

Available for contract work - Programming, Unix, Networking, Markup, etc.

Content-Location http header

Post by Nick K » Sun, 16 Feb 2003 03:32:59

Quote:> I'm sure there are other cases where Apache will set it, but I
> couldn't cite them OTTOMH.

Duh!  An even more obvious case: in resolving a "directory" URL to
an index.html file ...