CGI won't execute - cgi pointing into htdocs directory

CGI won't execute - cgi pointing into htdocs directory

Post by Bill Clanc » Sun, 17 May 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

My server (Apache 1.2.6) is looking for scripts in
$HOME/wwwroot/htdocs/cgi-bin/. I've checked the config files, though,
and they seem to have the CGI directory set up properly as
$HOME/wwwroot/cgi-bin/. I know it's probably a small problem. I'm just
tired right now.

Any help greatly appreciated!!!!

Bill

CGI won't execute - cgi pointing into htdocs directory

Post by Mike W. Ott » Sun, 17 May 1998 04:00:00

Hi Bill,

try  ScriptAlias in the srm.conf file. For example: ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/
somepath/htdocs/cgi-bin/
As far as I know each request for a cgi-script will let the server have a
look in that specified directory. The advantage is that you can exclude
the cgi-bin directory from the www path. If yourre running a virtual host
put the alias command between the <VirtualHost> directives.

Of course you can also try it with mod_rewrite which is as complicated as
powerful and confuses me at the moment. I found a very good article in
english/german about mode_rewrite from the author himself in
http://www.heise.de/ix/artikel/E/9612149/

Beat me if Im wrong :-)
Greetings

Mike

> Hi,

> My server (Apache 1.2.6) is looking for scripts in
> $HOME/wwwroot/htdocs/cgi-bin/. I've checked the config files, though,
> and they seem to have the CGI directory set up properly as
> $HOME/wwwroot/cgi-bin/. I know it's probably a small problem. I'm just
> tired right now.

> Any help greatly appreciated!!!!

> Bill

CGI won't execute - cgi pointing into htdocs directory

Post by Bill Clanc » Sun, 17 May 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

ScriptAlias is set to $HOME/wwwroot/cgi-bin/ already. That's what's
baffling me. It's still trying to look for $HOME/wwwroot/htdocs/cgi-bin/
instead.

Thanks for the response, though!

If needed, I can send my .conf files to people who need them.

Bill

> Hi Bill,

> try  ScriptAlias in the srm.conf file. For example: ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/
> somepath/htdocs/cgi-bin/
> As far as I know each request for a cgi-script will let the server have a
> look in that specified directory. The advantage is that you can exclude
> the cgi-bin directory from the www path. If yourre running a virtual host
> put the alias command between the <VirtualHost> directives.

> Of course you can also try it with mod_rewrite which is as complicated as
> powerful and confuses me at the moment. I found a very good article in
> english/german about mode_rewrite from the author himself in
> http://www.heise.de/ix/artikel/E/9612149/

> Beat me if Im wrong :-)
> Greetings

> Mike

> > Hi,

> > My server (Apache 1.2.6) is looking for scripts in
> > $HOME/wwwroot/htdocs/cgi-bin/. I've checked the config files, though,
> > and they seem to have the CGI directory set up properly as
> > $HOME/wwwroot/cgi-bin/. I know it's probably a small problem. I'm just
> > tired right now.

> > Any help greatly appreciated!!!!

> > Bill

1. /cgi-bin/phf /cgi-bin/test-cgi /cgi-bin/handler

I've been seeing a number of attacks of this sort recently
from various sites in the http logs.  The time correlation
between the logs on various hosts suggests that the attacker
was scanning sequentially upward in IP addresses.  Since all
tcp and udp packets to ports below 1024 except for http,
smtp, and ident are filtered out for most, including the
attacking, sites, I'm not seeing anything else in the logs.

209.61.73.47 - - [04/Jul/1998:07:19:27 -0500] "GET /cgi-bin/phf" 404 -
209.61.73.47 - - [04/Jul/1998:07:19:28 -0500] "GET /cgi-bin/test-cgi" 404 -
209.61.73.47 - - [04/Jul/1998:07:19:28 -0500] "GET /cgi-bin/handler" 404 -

Is this a signature of some known attackware?  If so, what
other attacks accompany these http probes?

--

2. Exchanging tapes, blocksizes ?

3. Can't get CGI to run in local cgi-bin directory

4. SCSI and disconnect

5. APACHE CGI's won't execute (forbidden) whats the deal?

6. Restricted root access?

7. Just getting started, CGI's won't execute.

8. How to boot SGI into single user mode

9. Aliasing cgi-bin directory to CGI directory

10. counter.cgi in cgi-bin won't work

11. Configuring Apache to run CGI in htdocs directory

12. Top level directories always htdocs and cgi-bin

13. perl cgi won't execute