Apache Referer question

Post by Penny » Wed, 05 Nov 1997 04:00:00

If we want to always have visitors enter through index.html and not
bookmark or linkto any interior pages on our site, would the using
mod_referer be the best way to always require entrance thorough the front
door of our site? Or is there a better way?

Thanks in advance,
Penny

Apache Referer question

Post by David Richar » Wed, 05 Nov 1997 04:00:00

>If we want to always have visitors enter through index.html and not
>bookmark or linkto any interior pages on our site, would the using
>mod_referer be the best way to always require entrance thorough the front
>door of our site? Or is there a better way?

Not all browsers/proxies send referer, some send bogus referer data. Requiring
a special cookie to get into the subsidiary pages could work, or using frames
will make it difficult for the average user to bookmark interior pages.

You may wish to consider _why_ you don't want the visitors to bookmark
your interior pages. If it's because your URLs change often and you don't
want to annoy users by having them get an error message when they try to
reach a page that is no longer there, you may be better served with custom
Apache 'ErrorDocument's instead.

If you don't want outside sites to have links to your inside pages
(and just asking them to stop doesn't work) then using mod_referer to
watch for connections _from_the_specific_sites_you_know_have_links_ is
a good solution.

1. Apache Referer Ignore Question

Running 1.2b10 -

Using - Module config_log_module   mod_log_config.o
to create a custom extended log format.

Working nicely, except that I want to use the
RefererIgnore directive to weed out my own domain,
and RefererIgnore doesn't work with the config_log_module..

Any Idea on how to do this ?

Do I need to compile in the referer module ?

Aaahh !

Thanks

Rio Caraeff

2. Linux IRC Channel?

3. Referer, Apache 1.3.9 and Redhat 6.1

4. sftp

5. Apache: "Referer:" in CGI binaries?

6. Sun Workshop 6 compiler difference - working around it

7. Apache log only Referer from my own sites

8. Yggdrasil CD and SLIP...

9. Apache: way to pretend HTTP-Referer?

10. REFERER Directive NCSA vs Apache

11. Apache - Referer/Agent barfed

12. Referer directive on Apache 1.1.1

13. Referer Ignoring Domain with Apache 1.2.4