auto index user subdirectory?

Post by Stan McCan » Wed, 21 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I have Apache 1.3b5 running on a Solaris 2.6 machine.  I was trying to
auto index in a user subdirectory and get a "Forbidden You don't have
permission to access /~user/subdirectory/ on this server" message if
index.html does not exist.  What I am trying to do is set up a directory
that will contain graphic files that may change frequently.  I don't
want to have to edit an index.html every time I change the images in the
directory so I did not create an index.html file expecting one to be
generated automatically.  I have tried giving the world read, write, and
execute attributes but it does not seem to be a rights problem.  Auto
indexing works in the user's public_html directory and in subdirectories
off the document root.  Is there some special setting to put in the
config files to get this to work?  Or is this considered a security
risk?  Any help will be greatly appreciated as I have gone through and
through the docs looking for something with no luck.

--
Stan McCann
Computer Center Manager/Network Administrator

Fight Spam! Join CAUCE (Coalition Against Unsolicited Commercial Email)
Support the anti-Spam amendment Join at http://www.cauce.org/

auto index user subdirectory?

Post by Marc Slemk » Thu, 22 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I have Apache 1.3b5 running on a Solaris 2.6 machine.  I was trying to
>auto index in a user subdirectory and get a "Forbidden You don't have
>permission to access /~user/subdirectory/ on this server" message if
>index.html does not exist.  What I am trying to do is set up a directory
>that will contain graphic files that may change frequently.  I don't
>want to have to edit an index.html every time I change the images in the
>directory so I did not create an index.html file expecting one to be
>generated automatically.  I have tried giving the world read, write, and
>execute attributes but it does not seem to be a rights problem.  Auto
>indexing works in the user's public_html directory and in subdirectories
>off the document root.  Is there some special setting to put in the
>config files to get this to work?  Or is this considered a security
>risk?  Any help will be greatly appreciated as I have gone through and
>through the docs looking for something with no luck.

It is only a security risk if you want to hide something.

You probably need to set the "Options" setting properly.  See the
manual for details on how it is set and what (ie. "Indexes") has to
be included.

1. Auto-indexing problem in Apache user directories.

This is probably a simple problem, but I just don't have the Apache
experience
to know where I'm going wrong...

I'm having a little trouble with auto-indexing in user directories.  I
can
access the user directories like this: "http://hostname/~username/"
when there
is an index.html file in the directory, but if I rename the index.html
file,
I get an error like this:

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /~username/ on this server.

I also have a cgi-directory set up under the .../username/public_html/
directory, and I can run Perl cgi scripts from the directory, so I
believe
I have the permissions set correctly on the .../username/public_html/
directory.

Any Ideas?

Below is a segment of my httpd.conf file, and some of the information
from
server-info:

<IfModule mod_userdir.c>
    UserDir public_html
    UserDir disabled root
</IfModule>

<Directory "/home/*/public_html">
</Directory>

Server Settings, mod_setenvif.c, mod_auth.c, mod_access.c,
mod_rewrite.c, mod_al
ias.c, mod_userdir.c, mod_actions.c, mod_imap.c, mod_asis.c,
mod_cgi.c, mod_dir.
c, mod_autoindex.c, mod_include.c, mod_info.c, mod_status.c,
mod_negotiation.c,
mod_mime.c, mod_log_config.c, mod_env.c, http_core.c
Server Version: Apache/1.3.12 (Unix)
Server Built: Aug 24 2000 10:05:26
API Version: 19990320:7
Run Mode: standalone
User/Group: httpd(-3)/-3
Daemons: start: 5    min idle: 5    max idle: 10    max: 150
Max Requests: per child: 0    keep alive: on    max per connection:
100
Threads: per child: 0
Excess requests: per child: 0
Timeouts: connection: 300    keep-alive: 15
Server Root: /webserver
Config File: conf/httpd.conf
PID File: /webserver/logs/httpd.pid
Scoreboard File: /webserver/logs/httpd.scoreboard

2. read(fd, buf, N) fails when N doesn't fit in 32 bits?

3. Indexes Options for / vs. subdirectories

4. Metacity multimedia keys

5. nis, nfs, autofs: auto.master, auto.misc, auto.home help please

6. Adding second network card

7. netscape communications server & auto-indexing

8. Yet another pppd problem

9. auto-indexing

10. How can I auto-reboot a SUN, then auto-login, then auto-start a program?

11. How to auto-reboot a SUN, then auto-login, then auto-start a program?

12. error 403 for auto indexed directories

13. Linking subdirectory to user directory