Slow downloads from apache server...

Post by Raja Vallee-Ra » Wed, 19 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out some rather bizarre behavior that we're getting
from our apache web server.  If I download files locally through
Ethernet, I get 100k/s+ per second.  More than adequate.  But if I
download the file over a POTS connection I only get about 1k/s whereas
in fact I should get about 3k/s, because the server is most of the time
unloaded.

We're running apache 1.1.1 on SunOS 5.5 (Solaris 2.5?), but I tried
running 1.2.4 for a while and it didn't fix the problem.  I also tried
FTPing a file over the same slow connection and I got 3k/s, so it is
possible to get maximum modem throughput.  But for some reason, the web
server isn't giving it.

Any thoughts on what could be wrong?

Thanks,
Raja

Slow downloads from apache server...

Post by Marc Slemk » Wed, 19 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi,
>I'm trying to figure out some rather bizarre behavior that we're getting
>from our apache web server.  If I download files locally through
>Ethernet, I get 100k/s+ per second.  More than adequate.  But if I
>download the file over a POTS connection I only get about 1k/s whereas
>in fact I should get about 3k/s, because the server is most of the time
>unloaded.
>We're running apache 1.1.1 on SunOS 5.5 (Solaris 2.5?), but I tried
>running 1.2.4 for a while and it didn't fix the problem.  I also tried
>FTPing a file over the same slow connection and I got 3k/s, so it is
>possible to get maximum modem throughput.  But for some reason, the web
>server isn't giving it.

Have you applied all the latest networking patches to your
Solaris box?  There are known issues.  Also, web clients aren't really
great for reporting download speeds.  You are often downloading multiple
files at once, clients are silly, etc.

http://sunsolve.sun.com/ and get the latest patch cluster.

Slow downloads from apache server...

Post by Alan C » Fri, 21 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>We're running apache 1.1.1 on SunOS 5.5 (Solaris 2.5?), but I tried
>running 1.2.4 for a while and it didn't fix the problem.  I also tried
>FTPing a file over the same slow connection and I got 3k/s, so it is
>possible to get maximum modem throughput.  But for some reason, the web
>server isn't giving it.

Get the TCP patches for Solaris 2.5 or upgrade to Solaris 2.6. Solaris had
a huge problem with low speed links. Web gets hit very badly by them, not
just on local dialups but many long distance links.

With the patches your box should be filling the modem nicely
--
CymruNet - 512Kbit lines for under UKP9000/year - Server and site hosting   --
-- Complete virtual services - Your own 0845 local call, server hosting     --

1. Apache/2.0.44 (Win32) Server - how to log server entry , downloads , etc

Hi all of u apache users .!
I have been using apache for a while now and it works like a dream
"why would it not " !
But now i would like to log somehow activities to and from my apache
server dirs . When someone is accessing my server and downloading
some file from some dir on my server e.t.c ..
And from what ip , e.t.c
Does anyone of u experts in apache server
configurating know how to achieve this ..!?
tried out all kind of php , mysql codes but havent found any simple
way to make it so ..
would be great if it was possible to view the log in an realtime mode
, directly
when someone is downloading - i can see that in realtime.. is that
possible ??
would be very nice if someone could help me out here ..
many thanks in advance > Micke from sweden <
* Apache is a great software - many thanks to all of u who developed
it - *

2. Do you know what's this: Warning: dev (04:c0) tty->count(2) != #fd's(3) in release_dev

3. PPP slow. Browsing slow but download fast

4. NTFS & Linux ?

5. PPP Slow. Browsing slow but download fast.

6. Using linux box as terminal

7. downloading *.GIF images from an apache 1.3.0 server on Sun Solaris 2.5.1

8. Help with tpage, please.

9. Is there a program to download whole site content locally beside apache proxy server?

10. netscape corrupts downloads from apache server

11. configure Apache Server to delay downloading files !!!NEEDED HELP

12. Apache server download msword doc scrambles doc