Internal Server Error - Apache

Post by Tim Mallard » Sat, 05 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I have a website that is being hosted on a server running Apache 1.2.6
with FrontPage 3.0.3.

I am running a cgi script using a pre-processor called MIVA (formerly
HTMLscript) This script is intermittently causing an Internal Server
Error #500.

This same script is running on 40 other servers. All but three work
fine. Those three happen to be running the same Apache 1.2.6/FrontPage
3.0.3 environment.

I'm in the process of trying to get my host to do something about this
problem. They have told me that they are running the latest non-beta
releases and cannot do anything else for me.

The Miva guys say that the version of Miva is stable and I can't argue
with that because it is working fine on everybody elses servers.

I was hoping that someone in this newgroup could advise me on how to get
this situation resolved. I have no unix / apache background and
therefore really don't know what else I can say to my host providor.

Perhaps someone could tell me what to ask my providor to do.

Thank you,
Tim Mallardi

Internal Server Error - Apache

Post by Tim Mallard » Sat, 05 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I forgot to mention:

If it makes any difference, the script simply opens two dBaseIII
capatible databases, writes one record, and then closes both databases.
This process occurs after data posted by a web page form.

> I have a website that is being hosted on a server running Apache 1.2.6
> with FrontPage 3.0.3.

> I am running a cgi script using a pre-processor called MIVA (formerly
> HTMLscript) This script is intermittently causing an Internal Server
> Error #500.

> This same script is running on 40 other servers. All but three work
> fine. Those three happen to be running the same Apache 1.2.6/FrontPage
> 3.0.3 environment.

> I'm in the process of trying to get my host to do something about this
> problem. They have told me that they are running the latest non-beta
> releases and cannot do anything else for me.

> The Miva guys say that the version of Miva is stable and I can't argue
> with that because it is working fine on everybody elses servers.

> I was hoping that someone in this newgroup could advise me on how to get
> this situation resolved. I have no unix / apache background and
> therefore really don't know what else I can say to my host providor.

> Perhaps someone could tell me what to ask my providor to do.

> Thank you,
> Tim Mallardi

1. IndexIgnore in .htaccess results in Internal Server Error (Apache)

I'm sure that this is something that I'm not understanding correctly.
But I've been reviewing the newsgroups for hours without finding an
answer.

I have Apache 1.3.24 with the frontpage patch applied, php4, mod_perl,
and a dozen or so other mods running under RH7.2.

I have a virutal host set up which points to my user's public_html
directory.  Apache/FP for some reason occassionally overwrites the
.htaccess in that directory with a generic version that includes the
following line.

IndexIgnore .htaccess */.??* *~ *# */HEADER* */README* */_vti*

My problem is that having an IndexIgnore in the .htaccess file creates
an Internal Server Error.  If I comment out the line in the .htaccess
file it works fine.

In my httpd.conf file, I have the following directives of importance.

<Directory /home/*/public_html>
    AllowOverride FileInfo AuthConfig Limit
    Options MultiViews Indexes SymLinksIfOwnerMatch IncludesNoExec
</Directory>
DirectoryIndex index.html index.htm index.shtml index.php index.php4
index.p hp3 index.phtml index.cgi
AccessFileName .htaccess
<Files ~ "^\.ht">
    Order allow,deny
    Deny from all
    Satisfy All
</Files>
IndexOptions FancyIndexing NameWidth=*
ReadmeName README
HeaderName HEADER
IndexIgnore .??* *~ *# HEADER* README* RCS CVS *,v *,t */_vti*

Can someone point me in a direction to either have Apache/FP stop
overwriting my .htaccess file, or tell me what I need to do to my
httpd.conf file so that I it doesn't create the conflict.

TIA
Scott

2. Avoiding disk access

3. Q: Internal Server Error 500 on Apache 1.2

4. compressed file question

5. Apache 1.3.27 internal server error by unknown mime type

6. Mandrake 8.0 beta2

7. internal server error in running cgi from a just installed apache /linux /redhat

8. Problem adding mail alias using admintool

9. Apache 1.3.3 : Internal Server Error

10. Why do I get an Internal Server Error from Apache 1.3.6 on Solaris 2.6?

11. 500 Internal server error in apache 1.3

12. Internal Server Error on a Heavy Loaded Server

13. (Review ID: 164268) HotSpot Virtual Machine Error, Internal Error; Error ID: 4F533F4C494E55580E43505