Apache Newbie / Problem with DirectoryIndex

Apache Newbie / Problem with DirectoryIndex

Post by Markus Hertac » Wed, 30 Oct 2002 23:49:48

Hi

I have the latest apache 1.3.xx installed installed on a freeBSD-box along
with PHP and MySQL. It works fine except for one thing:
This works http://192.168.1.1/phpMyAdmin/
This does not: http://192.168.1.1/phpMyAdmin

It doesn't even work when I replace the index.php with an index.html in that
folder. Strangly enough, with an index.html in the root-directory, it works
without the trailing slash... *me confused*.....
I suppose it has something to do with the DirectoryIndex-Stuff, but I can't
really make a clue out of it.
Here are my Directory-Indexes as generated by the port (at least i guess
that this is what I am speaking of...)

<IfModule mod_dir.c>

<IfModule mod_php3.c>

<IfModule mod_php4.c>

DirectoryIndex index.php index.php3 index.html

</IfModule>

<IfModule !mod_php4.c>

DirectoryIndex index.php3 index.html

</IfModule>

</IfModule>

<IfModule !mod_php3.c>

<IfModule mod_php4.c>

DirectoryIndex index.php index.html

</IfModule>

<IfModule !mod_php4.c>

DirectoryIndex index.html

</IfModule>

</IfModule>

</IfModule>

Apache Newbie / Problem with DirectoryIndex

Post by The Other Gu » Thu, 31 Oct 2002 03:43:51

On Tue, 29 Oct 2002 15:49:48 +0100, while waiting for Somebody Else to
show up and say something, The Other Guy responded to a post from

comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix:

-->Hi
-->
-->I have the latest apache 1.3.xx installed installed on a
freeBSD-box along
-->with PHP and MySQL. It works fine except for one thing:
-->This works http://192.168.1.1/phpMyAdmin/
-->This does not: http://192.168.1.1/phpMyAdmin

<Snip>

See if http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/FAQ-E.html#set-servername
solves your problem.

HTH
T.O.G.
--
./configure --prefix=~/zyterion
Not this guy or that guy, The Other Guy.

"I love Mankind, it's people I can't stand."
- Linus from Charlie Brown

"To know me is to love me!"
- (also) Linus from Charlie Brown

Apache Newbie / Problem with DirectoryIndex

Post by Markus Hertac » Fri, 01 Nov 2002 00:56:42

That makes sense. Thank you.

Only catch is, that I don't have a Domain for this Computer. I access the
web-server by the IP adress. Can I set the IP adress as server name?

> On Tue, 29 Oct 2002 15:49:48 +0100, while waiting for Somebody Else to
> show up and say something, The Other Guy responded to a post from

> comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix:

> -->Hi
> -->
> -->I have the latest apache 1.3.xx installed installed on a
> freeBSD-box along
> -->with PHP and MySQL. It works fine except for one thing:
> -->This works http://192.168.1.1/phpMyAdmin/
> -->This does not: http://192.168.1.1/phpMyAdmin

> <Snip>

> See if http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/FAQ-E.html#set-servername
> solves your problem.

> HTH
> T.O.G.
> --
> ./configure --prefix=~/zyterion
> Not this guy or that guy, The Other Guy.

> "I love Mankind, it's people I can't stand."
> - Linus from Charlie Brown

> "To know me is to love me!"
> - (also) Linus from Charlie Brown

Apache Newbie / Problem with DirectoryIndex

Post by The Other Gu » Fri, 01 Nov 2002 01:30:39

On Wed, 30 Oct 2002 16:56:42 +0100, while waiting for Somebody Else to
show up and say something, The Other Guy responded to a post from

comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix:

-->That makes sense. Thank you.
-->
-->Only catch is, that I don't have a Domain for this Computer. I
access the
-->web-server by the IP adress. Can I set the IP adress as server
name?
-->
<snip>

From the httpd.conf file

#
# ServerName gives the name and port that the server uses to identify
itself.
# This can often be determined automatically, but we recommend you
specify
# it explicitly to prevent problems during startup.
#
# If this is not set to valid DNS name for your host, server-generated
# redirections will not work.  See also the UseCanonicalName
directive.
#
# If your host doesn't have a registered DNS name, enter its IP
address here.
# You will have to access it by its address anyway, and this will make
# redirections work in a sensible way.
#

Note the second last statement. You could also try using your full
host name of the computer, and the port.