Need suggestions on CERN or NCSA http server.

Need suggestions on CERN or NCSA http server.

Post by K.P.Hu » Tue, 23 May 1995 04:00:00

Hi netters,

I installed the NCSA http server and let it run for a few months.
It worked fine and now I need proxy server.  After a few
searches, I downloaded the CERN httpd 3.0 and testing it.  Here I
have a few questoins:

1. The CERN server runs with cached proxy OK, execept in some
occations.  Sometimes the connections between proxy and the
reomote host were broken (timeout maybe), the proxy see it as
transfer done and cache the broken document.  Then no matter
what the client do, it cannot reload the original documents, only
the broken versions are reloaded.  Can I configure the CERN
server to get around this problem?

2. If the CERN server can be tunned to what I need, should I
consider switching to CERN httpd 3.0 as my http server as well.
This case I can use CERN server to do both jobs.  NCSA vs CERN
server, which one is better?  I know NCSA have a 1.4 beta version
and mine is 1.3, should I upgrade it or switch to CERN all
together?

3. If NCSA is better, are there any public domain proxy server
which can run on Solaris 2.3?

Any suggestions are welcome, and they will save me a lot of time.

Adv-Thanks-ance :)

-Ping

Need suggestions on CERN or NCSA http server.

Post by RENERO QUINTE » Sat, 27 May 1995 04:00:00

Hi, I haven't still tested the CERN http daemon, but I've recently installed
the NCSA httpd v1.4.1 and runs fine. It will probably help you a paper
located at web server on NCSA (i lost the address, Mmm I think it's
http://hoohoo.ncsa.uiuc.edu). The name is Performance of several httpd on
an HP.

        Good luck