ns 3.0, error on 'HEAD /'-request

Post by Jan Holtkam » Sat, 14 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Anyone know why netscape webserver 3.0 keeps writing entries in the
errorsfile
on a 'HEAD / HTTP/1.0'-request

The access log says "req" 500 305

The errors log say "req" config: for host x.y.z.a trying to HEAD /,
send-error reports: missing parameter (path)

Do I have to change config? Is it a feauture/bug?

Any response appreciated

1. Does 'cacheing only' NS need roo-NS hints?

I'm thinking about setting up a cacheing only nameserver using named.
I'm on dialup PPP, and have access to a nameserver at my university.

The question is:
In the book by Olaf Kirch I read (or misread?), that even if named
was chacheing only, it would still need the root nameserver hints,
which should be updated periodically by downloading the database.
Do I really need to go through that hassle? I only want the thing to
build a local cache, and to turn to the universiy's NS for anything
that's not in there.

I'm quite sure this is something about 'forward', but I couldn't find
out whether I will mess up anything if I don't provide the hints.

TIA,

        -Chris

PGP-fingerprint: 85 04 81 E2 8D BC B3 E1 06 7D 1C 45 25 28 6C B6
        public key available on your local keyserver
Mostardstr. 22      Christian Hamacher

Germany             phone: +49-241-402019

2. HD trouble: hdb: irq timeout: status=0xd1 { Busy } SeekComplete DataRequest Error

3. Error in subj. heading: Nonblocking 'does' block; says....

4. Dilbert hits the spot...

5. RAM's: EDO, Parity, 60 ns, 70 ns

6. INN 1.3 news.daily hangs

7. parsing a 'flexible' text file with SED: i'm in over my head ....

8. Install PCMCIA SCSI CD-WRITER HP-M820e for portables (Linux RedHat 6.1)

9. RH 6.0 - can't find linux/head.h during 'make modules'

10. Request headers - 'Reload', <SHIFT>+'Reload'

11. NS Gold can't find libXt.so.6 (it's there)

12. can't load library 'libgdbm.so.2' with Slackware 3.0 installation