Apache 1.3: "httpd could not be started"

Apache 1.3: "httpd could not be started"

Post by Don O'Nei » Wed, 10 Jun 1998 04:00:00

After sucessfuly building, installing and debugging my config files, when I
run "apachectl start" I get the message "httpd could not be started".

I was running 1.2.5 on my Free BSD 2.2.5 box before without any problems.
The build went fine, the install too... I debugged my virtual hosts setup
(needed that new NameVirtualHost directive) and didn't get any runtime
errors except that one.

There were no other httpd daemons running at the time I tried to start
1.3... I even re-booted after putting it in my startup and it didn't help.

Anyone have any ideas???

Thanks!!
Don

Post by Leslie Mikese » Thu, 11 Jun 1998 04:00:00

>After sucessfuly building, installing and debugging my config files, when I
>run "apachectl start" I get the message "httpd could not be started".

>I was running 1.2.5 on my Free BSD 2.2.5 box before without any problems.
>The build went fine, the install too... I debugged my virtual hosts setup
>(needed that new NameVirtualHost directive) and didn't get any runtime
>errors except that one.

>There were no other httpd daemons running at the time I tried to start
>1.3... I even re-booted after putting it in my startup and it didn't help.

>Anyone have any ideas???

The reason should be in your error log.

  Les Mikesell

Post by Paul Chap » Sat, 13 Jun 1998 04:00:00

: The reason should be in your error log.

Except I have no log files.

--

Paul Chapin

Unix Systems Manager                    I'm too busy to have time
Amherst College                         for anything important.
413-542-2144
http://www.amherst.edu/~pdchapin

Apache 1.3: "httpd could not be started"

Post by Paul Chap » Sat, 13 Jun 1998 04:00:00

: After sucessfuly building, installing and debugging my config files, when I
: run "apachectl start" I get the message "httpd could not be started".

This probably means that one of your configuration files is messed up.
Try reverting to the original distribution and see if it starts.  Then
try slowing putting your customizations back restarting after each
change until either it works or you can determine where the problem
is.

Note, using the distribution httpd.conf will get the httpd started
message, but some changes will be needed to actually get the processes
to run.

(I'm working of a dUnix system, but I assume this is constant.)

--

Post by Leslie Mikese » Sat, 13 Jun 1998 04:00:00

>: The reason should be in your error log.

>Except I have no log files.

Then the httpd.conf file is screwed up or the appropriate directory
doesn't exist or you are starting httpd as someone who doesn't
have permission to create the error log.  I'd try to fix that
problem before anything else so you can see what else is going wrong.

If you run out of ideas, you can run strace (linux), truss (sysV)
or whatever system-call tracer your OS offers to see what files
it is trying to read and write.

  Les Mikesell