virtual server with NCSA httpd1.5

Post by Innovative Bi » Sun, 30 Jul 1995 04:00:00

We've recently installed NCSA's httpd 1.5 (solaris 2.4) for the purpose of
running multiple virtual servers. We want to serve different docs for
different domain names, i.e.:

http://www.domain1.com/ serves doc1.html and
http://www.domain2.com/ serves doc2.html

In the conf/httpd.conf file one can put specify these tpes of things
using the <VIRTUALHOST> parameter.

The problem is that it does not seem to work for us! More specificly, we
are have registered multiple domain names with our Internet Provider, all
of which are aliased to our main domain name. Without the <VIRUTALHOST>
parameter, both of the example URLs listed above go to the same doc.

Now we want to use this <VIRTUALHOST> stuff. It seems to want an IP
address for a parameter; how should we give this domain name an IP
address -- we have a class C address, meaning we have 255 ip addresses to
use. My questions are:

In what files do we need to specify the IP address (resolv.conf?
/etc/hosts, etc.), and what would be the syntax used.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Daniel Levy
Real Estate On-Line
http://www.nyrealty.com/

212.734.9191

Post by Jacek A. Ponars » Wed, 02 Aug 1995 04:00:00

> We've recently installed NCSA's httpd 1.5 (solaris 2.4) for the purpose of
> running multiple virtual servers. We want to serve different docs for
> different domain names, i.e.:

> http://www.domain1.com/ serves doc1.html and
> http://www.domain2.com/ serves doc2.html

check this out:

http://www.thesphere.com/%7Edlp/TwoServers/

Albert Einstein College of Medicine   fax:           (718)430-2488
RIT, Bronx, NY.   http://micro6.trincoll.edu, tel:   (718)430-4211

virtual server with NCSA httpd1.5

Post by Brandon Lo » Thu, 03 Aug 1995 04:00:00

In comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix you write:

Quote:>We've recently installed NCSA's httpd 1.5 (solaris 2.4) for the purpose of
>running multiple virtual servers. We want to serve different docs for
>different domain names, i.e.:
>http://www.domain1.com/ serves doc1.html and
>http://www.domain2.com/ serves doc2.html
>In the conf/httpd.conf file one can put specify these tpes of things
>using the <VIRTUALHOST> parameter.

Actually, you can also specify a different srm.conf file for each host,
but its kinda the same thing.

Quote:>The problem is that it does not seem to work for us! More specificly, we
>are have registered multiple domain names with our Internet Provider, all
>of which are aliased to our main domain name. Without the <VIRUTALHOST>
>parameter, both of the example URLs listed above go to the same doc.
>Now we want to use this <VIRTUALHOST> stuff. It seems to want an IP
>address for a parameter; how should we give this domain name an IP
>address -- we have a class C address, meaning we have 255 ip addresses to
>use. My questions are:
>In what files do we need to specify the IP address (resolv.conf?
>/etc/hosts, etc.), and what would be the syntax used.

Check out http://hoohoo.ncsa.uiuc.edu/beta-1.5/multihome.html

Basically, you have to give your machine more than one IP address, and
have each hostname resolve to one IP address (sorry, its the best we
could do under HTTP/1.0.  Something else might be available later
via HTTP/1.1 or a URN scheme).

This involves having more than one IP address on an interface.  Most
OSs which support this call it a "Virtual Interface" (hence the
VirtualHost config name).  This is supported under Solaris, and works
through ifconfig.  See the Solaris FAQ (though the relevant sections are
quoted in the above URL)

Brandon

--

  HTTPD Development           -- RAW           Software Development Group/NCSA
  http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/blong  University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign

Post by davi » Mon, 07 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Quote:> We've recently installed NCSA's httpd 1.5 (solaris 2.4) for the purpose of
> running multiple virtual servers. We want to serve different docs for
> different domain names, i.e.:
[...]
> The problem is that it does not seem to work for us!

You *do* know that NCSA httpd 1.5 is still in beta (ie., technically,
"NCSA's httpd 1.5" doesn't exist yet - it's still "1.5b1", 1.5 beta drop 1),
don't you?  Have you posed this question to either NCSA themselves, or
to the beta group?

Quite a few bugs have recently been squashed in beta drop 1, perhaps
yours is one of them.  Check the beta list for details.

dave

1. Server side includes with NCSA httpd1.4

Hello,

My NCSA HTTPD1.4 won't output readable HTML from files it parses as
server-side includes on a Solaris 2.4 system.

I've set-up this in srm.conf

    AddType text/x-server-parsed-html .shtml

which works fine under HTTPD1.3 on SunOS 4.1.3. The server returns a
file to the browser asking for it but not in a form that the browser
can display. I've tried several up-to-date browsers and I think
the fault is with the file not the browser. Has anyone seen this and
is there a fix?

2. Phillips CM206 CD-ROM

3. NCSA httpd1.5 no longer sees /cgi-bin!

4. USR Pilot

5. Authentication under ncsa httpd1.4.2 and CNAMED site

6. how to find ppp connection speed?

7. ncsa httpd1.5a

8. Dual Boot - 2 Drives

9. NCSA HTTPd1.4 and CGI are returning 403 error

10. NCSA httpd1.0a5

11. lynx and ncsa httpd1.4

12. ncsa httpd1.5 CGI stops working!!!

13. Weird behavior of NCSA httpd1.4.1 ?