cannot spawn child process

Post by iqba » Thu, 10 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hi

I have apache version 1.3x running, and it has been working fine, but
last nite, when i added another v-host it would not restart. Well
actually it did, but no cgi would run. It would publish the html pages,
but when it came to the cgi it dies. The error in the logfiles simply
said cannot spawn child process.

I tried the cgi from the command line, and it ran without any problems.
Each if my vhosts have there own errorlogs and own transfrelogs, and
also there own cgibins.

When i changed all the error logs so that they dumped into one large
file, apache and the cgi's were fine again.

Is this is problem with the OS (Linux slackware some new kernal, can't
recall exact version), or with apache. I only have around 170+ v=hosts.

Thanks

Iqbal

cannot spawn child process

Post by Cameron Lemo » Fri, 11 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Sounds like your out of file descriptors.

<snip>

1. Apache cannot spawn child process

Hi,

We're running Apache 1.3.9 on Solaris 2.8.

Every once in a while, when the site is very busy, nobody can run CGI's.
The error log shows:

[Mon Jun 25 10:19:15 2001] [error] [client 195.224.238.98] (12)Not enough
space: couldn't spawn child process: /var/http/live/cgi-bin/SaCGI.cgi

This generates an Error 500 - Internal Server Error.

It does not mater which CGI I try and run, the same message appears in the
browser.  All flat HTML pages are served up OK.

I have changed "MaxKeepAliveRequests" to 250 in httpd.conf, but don't know
if this has any affect.

Thanks,
Owain.

2. Announce: XFS split patches for 2.4.20 - respin

3. Cannot Spawn Child Process Solaris

4. Scripts to summarize snoop output?

5. Apache Error: Cannot Spawn Child Process

6. *much* trouble installing sol9 solfware-companion cdrom [post 1]

7. StrongHold and "Cannot spawn child process" under Sun Solaris 2.5.1

8. Telnet and rlogin problem

9. Apache Server Error: Cannot Spawn Child Process

10. Cannot Spawn Child Proccess

11. Apache 0.8.11 - cannot spawn child error

12. Apache can't spawn child process

13. Spawning a child process