Apache Query - Pseudo Virtual Hosts ?

Post by UPCI » Fri, 27 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Hi,

I wonder if anyone out there can help . . .

How do I set up Apache so that different users can get their own docs,
log and cgi-bin directories without having to provide Web forwarding for
each ?

For example:

The URL's might be:

    www.myserver.com/user1
    www.myserver.com/user2

with each user having dedicated docs, logs & cgi-bin directories.

I've seen it done, but can't find it in the documentation.

Any advice much appreciated.

Joe Newby

Post by Nathan V Patwardh » Fri, 27 Sep 1996 04:00:00

: How do I set up Apache so that different users can get their own docs,
: log and cgi-bin directories without having to provide Web forwarding for
: each ?

Start out with cgiwrap and take it from there.

HTH

Nate

ps - If you are running on a system with quotas, or even without quotas,
consider the implications of allowing users to write logfiles to their
accounts.

1. Apache 1.3b2: Default Host and all virtual hosts serve only first virtual hosts pages?

Hello.

Have been running 1.2b8 for a intranet and decided to move upto 1.3b2. I
have several name based virtual hosts that have been working under
1.2b8. After compiling and installing 1.3b2 my virtual hosts do not
work. In fact what happens is that even though DocumentRoot and default
server name is different, eg: www.serverA.net pointing to /www/default,
Apache 1.3b2 will always take me to the first defined virtual host as if
it's locked to it no matter what virtual host I try to browse. What
gives? Please post and E-Mail.

In /etc/hosts for my machines IP address I have

A.B.C.D         www.default.net www.virtA.net www.virtB.net

In ../conf/httpd.conf I have;

<VirtualHost www.virtA.net>

DocumentRoot /usr/local/www/virtA
ServerName www.virtA.net
ErrorLog logs/virtA.error.log
TransferLog logs/virtA.access.log
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost www.virtB.net>

DocumentRoot /usr/local/www/virtB
ServerName www.virtB.net
ErrorLog logs/virtB.error.log
TransferLog logs/virtB.access.log
</VirtualHost>

--

2. New or Revised TAs on websco, 970222

3. Mixing Apache Name Based Virtual Hosts and SSL Virtual Host

4. RewriteEngine not working from .htaccess

5. pseudo virtual hosting?!

6. Currently Supported JetAdmin ?

7. Apache - Virtual Host or /etc/hosts

8. Ingres dies at 3.2

9. Apache 2.0.x virtual host ALWAYS beings up the FIRST host in the list..

10. FrontPage virtual hosting, removal or reset of virtual host

11. : How to prevent one named virtual host from "seeing" another virtual hosts files ?

12. For Discussion: web virtual hosting vs mail virtual hosting

13. Virtual Host Query