NCSA 1.5.1 problem with imagemap

Post by Dean Guenther - Systems Sta » Thu, 06 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Recently I installed the NCSA 1.5.1 upgrade to the 1.4.2 we've been running.
The same day I had to withdraw the upgrade and go back to 1.4.2 when it
was discovered that 1.5.1 incorrectly mapped images using imagemap. I
reported this to NCSA several weeks ago and am awaiting their investigation.

Meanwhile, I thought I'd see if anyone else has had similar problems with
1.5.1 and imagemaps. What happens is that someone will click on a hotspot
and the imagemap resolves to the wrong URL. This works correctly in
1.4.2 and fails in 1.5.1. Interestingly enough, I tried the internal
imagemap support new to 1.5.1 and the map resolves correctly. Its just
the external imagemap that fails. Anyone else have imagemap problems
in 1.5.1?? -- Dean

--

Washington State University     AT&T:     509 335-0433
Pullman, WA. 99164-1222         fax:      509 335-0540

NCSA 1.5.1 problem with imagemap

Post by SpectraCom, Inc » Fri, 07 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

> Recently I installed the NCSA 1.5.1 upgrade to the 1.4.2 we've been running.
> The same day I had to withdraw the upgrade and go back to 1.4.2 when it
> was discovered that 1.5.1 incorrectly mapped images using imagemap. I
> reported this to NCSA several weeks ago and am awaiting their investigation.

> Meanwhile, I thought I'd see if anyone else has had similar problems with
> 1.5.1 and imagemaps. What happens is that someone will click on a hotspot
> and the imagemap resolves to the wrong URL. This works correctly in
> 1.4.2 and fails in 1.5.1. Interestingly enough, I tried the internal
> imagemap support new to 1.5.1 and the map resolves correctly. Its just
> the external imagemap that fails. Anyone else have imagemap problems
> in 1.5.1?? -- Dean

Hmm...I know that the new version supports server-based imagemaps,
so you don't have to send the maps to a cgi program. Are you doing
this? Also, because of this, I also know that you can reference
things locally, rather than with a full pathname now, in the
map files.

-Scott Yanoff

1. NCSA 1.5.1 imagemap problems

All:

We're having an odd problem here with our imagemap.

I just did a binary-only upgrade from NCSA 1.5a to 1.5.1. Since then
(at least I think the problem dates to that change), our home page
imagemap seems to have "holes" in the space.

We didn't change the map file at all -- it's been the same for
months. I did change the image, but it has the same dimensions and
layout as the old one, and I've made similar changes before.

I checked out the coordinates in the imagemap file and they check
out within a pixel or two. The map file is correct.

But when I click on a "button" in the imagemap, if I go to some
parts of it, it gives me the default. If I move slightly to one side
or the other, it works. Sometimes there's a dead spot right smack in
the middle of the "button".

I've replaced the imagemap executable as well with the one that came
with 1.5.1, just in case there was some weird compatibility problem,
but it didn't help.

Here's an example. On the home page, we have a large image over
which some "buttons" appear. Here's a section of the map file:

rect http://www.upenn.edu/calendar/ 235,282 317,304
rect http://www.upenn.edu/grad.html 245,0 470,308
default http://www.upenn.edu/

There's more to it, but this is just for my example. If I click on
coordinates 278,290, I get the grad.html page, not the calendar
page. If I click on 307,290 I get the default page. If I click on
278,291, though, it works properly. Same for 278,289. It appears in
this particular case that I have a pixel-wide line through this
"button" that doesn't work. A similar phenomenon occurs throughout
the page, though I haven't ascertained whether they're lines or dots
that don't work.

I can't emphasize enough that this map file *worked* up until
earlier this month. It was in place before I arrived here, for
months, with no problems at all. We've also had the entries in the
map file in the same order the whole time.

Can someone out there help me with this? It's an odd one...

Thanks in advance..

Leslie Dreyer Kalra

2. shift BKL out of vfs_readdir

3. imagemap problems on NCSA 1.5.1 AND 1.5.2

4. have you a K6 with LINUX?

5. NCSA 1.3 imagemap configuration problem?

6. compiled version of UMSDOS 0.5

7. NCSA HTTPd 1.4 Imagemap problem

8. cant analyse crash on 64 bit solaris 7

9. Problems with NCSA httpd & imagemaps

10. NCSA's imagemap.conf file

11. Imagemaps on NCSA httpd v1.5

12. ANNOUNCE: Updated imagemap.pl for CERN & NCSA

13. NCSA authentication & imagemaps