virtual host problem with apache 1.3.14-6 on suse 7.1

virtual host problem with apache 1.3.14-6 on suse 7.1

Post by Robert Jaco » Mon, 25 Jun 2001 09:35:41



hi!

i have a problem with my apache 1.3.14-6 on suse 7.1
when i call the kopfsalat.dhs.org , i came often to the didi.dhs.org and
somtimes to my other virtual domains on the apache and then i have a lot of
"not found" errors
when i restart the apache it works for a short time

this is a cut from the httpd.conf

----cut----

ServerName 212.33.38.153

NameVirtualHost 212.33.38.153

<VirtualHost didi.dhs.org>
    DocumentRoot /home/www/didi.dhs.org/
    ServerName didi.dhs.org
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost kopfsalat.dhs.org>
    DocumentRoot /home/www/kopfsalat.dhs.org/
    ServerName kopfsalat.dhs.org
</VirtualHost>

-----cut-end-----

thx for help and sorry for my low-english :)

robert

 
 
 

virtual host problem with apache 1.3.14-6 on suse 7.1

Post by Christoph Voge » Mon, 25 Jun 2001 16:58:37



> when i call the kopfsalat.dhs.org , i came often to the didi.dhs.org and
> somtimes to my other virtual domains on the apache and then i have a lot
of
> "not found" errors
> when i restart the apache it works for a short time
> ServerName 212.33.38.153

What's the meaning of this ServerName (BTW: a FQDN should be used with this
directive) directive outside a VH? If you're using VHs you should stop using
an independent "main server" (cf.
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/vhosts/name-based.html). This might be a reasen
for your server's strange behaviour.

Quote:> NameVirtualHost 212.33.38.153
> <VirtualHost didi.dhs.org>
>     DocumentRoot /home/www/didi.dhs.org/
>     ServerName didi.dhs.org
> </VirtualHost>
> <VirtualHost kopfsalat.dhs.org>
>     DocumentRoot /home/www/kopfsalat.dhs.org/
>     ServerName kopfsalat.dhs.org
> </VirtualHost>

This seems correct (the two ServerNames resolve two the same address). But
if you supply a ServerName you don't have to use the FQDN for the
VirtualHost directive. It's better using the ip address as dns lookups slow
down Apache's start.

Regards,

Christoph.

 
 
 

virtual host problem with apache 1.3.14-6 on suse 7.1

Post by Robert Jaco » Mon, 25 Jun 2001 21:11:06


hi

thanx for your tips :)

but, how can i stop the main server?
there are many default directives on the main server setup
can i copy all the stuff to the default virtual server?
or must copy all the stuff to every virtual server?

puh, i think, i need a german apache book to config my server :)

have a nice day

robert




> > when i call the kopfsalat.dhs.org , i came often to the didi.dhs.org and
> > somtimes to my other virtual domains on the apache and then i have a lot
> of
> > "not found" errors
> > when i restart the apache it works for a short time

> > ServerName 212.33.38.153

> What's the meaning of this ServerName (BTW: a FQDN should be used with
this
> directive) directive outside a VH? If you're using VHs you should stop
using
> an independent "main server" (cf.
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/vhosts/name-based.html). This might be a
reasen
> for your server's strange behaviour.

> > NameVirtualHost 212.33.38.153

> > <VirtualHost didi.dhs.org>
> >     DocumentRoot /home/www/didi.dhs.org/
> >     ServerName didi.dhs.org
> > </VirtualHost>

> > <VirtualHost kopfsalat.dhs.org>
> >     DocumentRoot /home/www/kopfsalat.dhs.org/
> >     ServerName kopfsalat.dhs.org
> > </VirtualHost>

> This seems correct (the two ServerNames resolve two the same address). But
> if you supply a ServerName you don't have to use the FQDN for the
> VirtualHost directive. It's better using the ip address as dns lookups
slow
> down Apache's start.

> Regards,

> Christoph.

 
 
 

virtual host problem with apache 1.3.14-6 on suse 7.1

Post by Christoph Voge » Mon, 25 Jun 2001 21:35:03



> but, how can i stop the main server?
> there are many default directives on the main server setup
> can i copy all the stuff to the default virtual server?
> or must copy all the stuff to every virtual server?

Just let your default settings above the VH definitions. They work for all
virtual hosts. The only thing you really have to comment in are ServerName
and ServerAlias. Things like ServerAdmin or DocumentRoot are moved to your
first VH.

Bye,

Christoph.

 
 
 

virtual host problem with apache 1.3.14-6 on suse 7.1

Post by Robert Jaco » Tue, 26 Jun 2001 08:00:34


thanx
but my problem was this:

http://sdb.suse.de/sdb/de/html/hoe_httpd_dynvhost.html.html

its a error in the modul mod_dynvhost.c

:)

cu
robert




> > but, how can i stop the main server?
> > there are many default directives on the main server setup
> > can i copy all the stuff to the default virtual server?
> > or must copy all the stuff to every virtual server?

> Just let your default settings above the VH definitions. They work for all
> virtual hosts. The only thing you really have to comment in are ServerName
> and ServerAlias. Things like ServerAdmin or DocumentRoot are moved to your
> first VH.

> Bye,

> Christoph.

 
 
 

1. Apache 1.3.14 / Netware Perl/CGI PROBLEM, Please help!

Hi All!

I installed the Apache 1.3.14 binary distribution on my Netware 5.1 Server.
Apache works fine, but I didn't figure out, how CGI support is provided
under Netware. I have a .cgi file, that has "#!perl" as the first line, but
Apache ignores that, and just presents the source as plain/text. Also the
test-cgi files don't work. (Also plain/text, not an internal server
error....)

Does anybody has an idea?

Thank you for your help.

--
with best regards

H. Mayer

2. DS20e systems - we're buying

3. PDF problems with Apache 1.3.14

4. Problem compiling Perl

5. apache 1.3.14 - rewrite problem?

6. dumb question

7. Apache SCRIPT_NAME problem after upgrade 1.3.14 - 1.3.22

8. What happened to my USB devices?

9. problem of compiling apache 1.3.14/17 with mod_auth_mysql

10. Apache 1.3.14/ JServ 1.1.2 with DSO support problem

11. Apache 1.3.14 VHosts Problem

12. Apache 1.3.14 Problem

13. apache 1.3.14 -problem serving .pdf files