wrong header when cgi uses Location:

Post by Jeff » Mon, 10 May 1999 04:00:00

I have a virtual server running on a (I think) Sun machine using
Apache/1.3.4.

Then I have a cgi that redirects to different static pages, based on
info.
in the environment variables.

If I get a HEAD request, I just print on stdout :

and the client receives a http header as I would expect -

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Sun, 09 May 1999 23:24:49 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.4 (Unix) AuthMySQL/2.20
Connection: close

But, when I get a GET request, I determine the URL and print on stdout :

Location: <calculated URL>

but the client receives the html header of that document as the http
header, so
instead of like above, I get

<HTML>
<HEAD>
   <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html;
charset=iso-8859-1">
        .... etc.
</HEAD>
<BODY BACKGROUND="misc/greenwhite_paper.gif">

and then the body received by the client is missing the html header.

If I call up the page directly, I get the correct http header, and the
correct
document body with the html header in place.

I would be EXTREMELY GREATFUL for any help, or thoughts on this problem.

Please also reply by email, as my ISP's news server doesn't seem to
catch all the messages.

THANK YOU !

Post by Alan J. Flavel » Tue, 11 May 1999 04:00:00

> Then I have a cgi that redirects to different static pages, based on
> info.
> in the environment variables.

> If I get a HEAD request, I just print on stdout :

Why?  That's not a redirection.  What are you trying to achieve?

Is this an NPH script or not?

Quote:> and the client receives a http header as I would expect -

> HTTP/1.1 200 OK

As you see, it's not a redirection.

Quote:> But, when I get a GET request, I determine the URL and print on stdout :

> Location: <calculated URL>

Is this meant to be an absolute URL (external redirection) or not?

Note the two distinct cases described under "Location:" in the CGI spec.

Quote:> but the client receives the html header of that document as the http
> header, so
> instead of like above, I get

> <HTML>
> <HEAD>
> and then the body received by the client is missing the html header.

This looks like the result of an HTTP/0.9 request.  Are you sure you
issued an HTTP/1.*-style request?

Quote:> If I call up the page directly, I get the correct http header, and the
> correct
> document body with the html header in place.

Sounds as if that part is working.

It's still not clear what you're trying to achieve.  If it's a non-NPH
script, then just return the Location: response, as documented in the
CGI spec, and let the server take care of the rest. It's only with NPH
scripts that you need to worry about generating all the correct HTTP
headers, and not sending the response body when it's not wanted.

good luck

Post by Jeff » Tue, 11 May 1999 04:00:00

> > Then I have a cgi that redirects to different static pages, based on
> > info.
> > in the environment variables.

> > If I get a HEAD request, I just print on stdout :

> Why?  That's not a redirection.  What are you trying to achieve?

I did this because I seem to remember that when people were doing head
requests,
the server was giving me an error. But this was some time ago, and I
don't know how or
why the errors were being caused.

Unfortunately, I have no idea if there are still any problems, or even
if I'm
remembering things correctly, since I no longer have access to the error
logs.

I will just remove this, since I think the server has been upgraded
since then,
I don't know if the prob. still exists, or how or why the errors
were being caused.

Quote:

> Is this an NPH script or not?

Don't know, is that something that the people running the virtual
servers
set, or something I do ?

Quote:

> > and the client receives a http header as I would expect -

> > HTTP/1.1 200 OK

> As you see, it's not a redirection.

> > But, when I get a GET request, I determine the URL and print on stdout :

> > Location: <calculated URL>

> Is this meant to be an absolute URL (external redirection) or not?

Yes, I supply a full path (http://www.xxx etc), even if it's on the same
server.

Sorry I didn't make that clear.

Quote:

> Note the two distinct cases described under "Location:" in the CGI spec.

> > but the client receives the html header of that document as the http
> > header, so
> > instead of like above, I get

> > <HTML>
> > <HEAD>
> > and then the body received by the client is missing the html header.

> This looks like the result of an HTTP/0.9 request.  Are you sure you
> issued an HTTP/1.*-style request?

No, actually I have no idea. I was just guessing that the component I
was
using would just be always doing the same kind of request, I see no
reason
why it wouldn't.
(I'm using Borland C++ Builder 3, the component is from NetMasters).

So thanks to this clue, I went and tried a different component to see
what
it would do, and it seems to work correctly.

Strange how the "big company" who charges for it's components seems to
act "goofier" than free components just written by some individual.

Quote:> > If I call up the page directly, I get the correct http header, and the
> > correct
> > document body with the html header in place.

> Sounds as if that part is working.

> It's still not clear what you're trying to achieve.  If it's a non-NPH
> script, then just return the Location: response, as documented in the
> CGI spec, and let the server take care of the rest. It's only with NPH
> scripts that you need to worry about generating all the correct HTTP
> headers, and not sending the response body when it's not wanted.

> good luck

Thanks I need it !

What I wish had found is a good tutorial for beginners, something
tailored
for virtual server users that clearly explains the http and how it ties
in
with the way the apachi server works, and the way clients interact with
it
all.

I seem to find info. at apachi.org, and the old ncsa documents, but I'm
still
not perfectly clear, I just have a vague idea..... but with time I'm
sure I'll
get it.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP !

wrong header when cgi uses Location:

Post by Alan J. Flavel » Tue, 11 May 1999 04:00:00

> > > Then I have a cgi that redirects to different static pages, based
> on > > info.  > > in the environment variables.

Quote:> > Is this an NPH script or not?

> Don't know,

Well, it's your CGI ;-)

Although, from what you say, it seems that you are screened from the
details of CGI processing by various bits of software, I'm afraid I'd
have to say that unless you get some basic familiarity with the CGI
specification itself, say the original pages at
http://hoohoo.ncsa.uiuc.edu/cgi/ , at least to the point where you can
recognise which bit fits where, and can "name the parts" in the way that
the CGI spec names them, you're likely to have an unnecessarily hard
time getting help here (which could still be marginally appropriate) or
on the c.i.w.authoring.cgi group (which your questions might really be
more appropriate to).

Check out also Nick Kew's CGI FAQ, copy at www.htmlhelp.org

Whether a script is an NPH script or not, is usually determined
by its name (whether it begins with nph- or not).  But it seems
there are some servers that treat all scripts like NPH scripts.

Quote:> > > <HTML>
> > > <HEAD>
> > > and then the body received by the client is missing the html header.

> > This looks like the result of an HTTP/0.9 request.  Are you sure you
> > issued an HTTP/1.*-style request?
> No, actually I have no idea. I was just guessing that the component I
> was using would just be always doing the same kind of request, I see
> no reason why it wouldn't.  (I'm using Borland C++ Builder 3, the
> component is from NetMasters).

It would be good for diagnostic purposes to learn how to issue
such a request "by hand", e.g using TELNET to the server's HTTP port
or similar diagnostic techniques.  I think the FAQ has some other
suggestions for diagnostic techniques.

It sounds as if your "component" could have fooled you by swallowing
the HTTP header and just delivering the body.  A reasonable thing to
do, as long as it's what you're expecting.

Quote:> So thanks to this clue, I went and tried a different component to see
> what it would do, and it seems to work correctly.
> Strange how the "big company" who charges for it's components seems to
> act "goofier" than free components just written by some individual.

Am I surprised?

Quote:> What I wish had found is a good tutorial for beginners, something
> tailored for virtual server users that clearly explains the http and
> how it ties in with the way the apachi server works, and the way
> clients interact with it all.

Well, the original tutorial at NCSA (see cited URL) is not bad, albeit
somewhat sparse and rather C-oriented.  If you add a Host: header to
every transaction so as to take care of virtual hosting, I think it
would be a start.  Most CGI tutorials are centered on a specific
language, but perhaps someone can make a better suggestion.  You
really should drift across to c.i.w.a.cgi though, as I said before.

You'd come back to this group if you had the CGI side sorted out, but a
specific Unix server wasn't coping with it properly, for example.

There's a lot to be said for playing around with a few trivial scripts -
even shell scripts can suffice for this, although Perl is better if you
are willing to try it - and calling up the server by hand and looking at
what happens. Trying to learn CGI techniques by wallowing around in a
mass of compiled code that's an almost-complete fullscale application is
no kind of a joke.

Good luck, again ;-)

--

       "If it ain't fun, you're not doing it right" - Jacqui

wrong header when cgi uses Location:

Post by Jeff » Tue, 11 May 1999 04:00:00

Thanks again very much for your help !

Quote:> on the c.i.w.authoring.cgi group (which your questions might really be
> more appropriate to).

Yes, they would be, so I will look for more help as needed there.
I ended up here because I saw this group mentioned in the FAQ at
apache.org, and didn't stop to think of browsing the groups to
find a more appropriate one.

My appologies to anyone who may have been bothered by my posting here.

Quote:> Check out also Nick Kew's CGI FAQ, copy at www.htmlhelp.org

Nice ! Thanks for the URL !

Quote:> Good luck, again ;-)

Thanks again !
Great info. and tips !

wrong header when cgi uses Location:

Post by Matthias Sünckse » Wed, 12 May 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

as the other poster said it's always good to have a
good CGI and/or HTTP/1.1 spec handy.

Maybe you should not just print on stdout

Location: <calculated URL>

but

Location: <calculated URL>

Hope this helps,

Mattias

--
Out-of-order Execution
        (Feature von modernen Microprozessoren)

wrong header when cgi uses Location:

Post by Kevi » Wed, 12 May 1999 04:00:00

Jeff:

Just a though from experiences long ago:

Make sure you are only spitting out any HTTP headers *once* in your CGI
script. The redirect won't work if you've tried to print out headers
previously in the script. That is, like so (very rough example):

INCORRECT
print "Content-Type: text/html\n\n";
If
 print "Location: foo.html\n\n";
End If

CORRECT
If ....
 print "Content-Type: text/html\n\n";
Else
 print "Location: foo.html\n\n";
End If

That may not be the problem but without the code it's difficult to diagnose.

Good luck,
Kevin

> [...]

> Location: <calculated URL>

> but the client receives the html header of that document as the http
> header, so
> instead of like above, I get

> <HTML>
> <HEAD>
>    <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html;
> charset=iso-8859-1">
>         .... etc.
> </HEAD>
> <BODY BACKGROUND="misc/greenwhite_paper.gif">

> and then the body received by the client is missing the html header.

> If I call up the page directly, I get the correct http header, and the
> correct
> document body with the html header in place.

> I would be EXTREMELY GREATFUL for any help, or thoughts on this problem.

> Please also reply by email, as my ISP's news server doesn't seem to

Post by Jeff » Wed, 12 May 1999 04:00:00

Thanks for the suggestion. I did actually play around with other
lines, including Status: and Content:, but that didn't help.

As it turns out, Alan Flavell pointed me in the right direction -
the problem appears to be the client I was using to check the headers.

When it got the redirect, it was apparently accessing it as
HTTP 0.9. I don't know whether the program was asking for it as
0.9 or if the server just decided then to send it as 0.9 (since
the client didn't supply info. for HTTP_USER_AGENT to be set).

It was strange, call up the page directly, and it's ok, but
get redirected to it, and it doesn't work right.

But in any case, I'm using a different component/program to
examine the headers and I'm happy with things the way they are.

> Hi,

> as the other poster said it's always good to have a
> good CGI and/or HTTP/1.1 spec handy.

> Maybe you should not just print on stdout

> Location: <calculated URL>

> but

> Location: <calculated URL>

> Hope this helps,

> Mattias

> > I have a virtual server running on a (I think) Sun machine using
> > Apache/1.3.4.

> > Then I have a cgi that redirects to different static pages, based on
> > info.
> > in the environment variables.

> > If I get a HEAD request, I just print on stdout :

> > and the client receives a http header as I would expect -

> > HTTP/1.1 200 OK
> > Date: Sun, 09 May 1999 23:24:49 GMT
> > Server: Apache/1.3.4 (Unix) AuthMySQL/2.20
> > Connection: close

> > But, when I get a GET request, I determine the URL and print on stdout :

> > Location: <calculated URL>

> > but the client receives the html header of that document as the http
> > header, so
> > instead of like above, I get

> > <HTML>
> > <HEAD>
> >    <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html;
> > charset=iso-8859-1">
> >         .... etc.
> > </HEAD>
> > <BODY BACKGROUND="misc/greenwhite_paper.gif">

> > and then the body received by the client is missing the html header.

> > If I call up the page directly, I get the correct http header, and the
> > correct
> > document body with the html header in place.

> > I would be EXTREMELY GREATFUL for any help, or thoughts on this problem.

> > Please also reply by email, as my ISP's news server doesn't seem to
> > catch all the messages.

> > THANK YOU !

> --
> Out-of-order Execution
>         (Feature von modernen Microprozessoren)

wrong header when cgi uses Location:

Post by Jeff » Wed, 12 May 1999 04:00:00

Thanks for the suggestion.

The problem is actually resolved, please see
my reply to Matthias Sncksen for more info.

> Jeff:

> Just a though from experiences long ago:

> Make sure you are only spitting out any HTTP headers *once* in your CGI
> script. The redirect won't work if you've tried to print out headers
> previously in the script. That is, like so (very rough example):

> INCORRECT
> print "Content-Type: text/html\n\n";
> If
>  print "Location: foo.html\n\n";
> End If

> CORRECT
> If ....
>  print "Content-Type: text/html\n\n";
> Else
>  print "Location: foo.html\n\n";
> End If

> That may not be the problem but without the code it's difficult to diagnose.

> Good luck,
> Kevin

> > I have a virtual server running on a (I think) Sun machine using
> > Apache/1.3.4.

> > Then I have a cgi that redirects to different static pages, based on
> > info.
> > in the environment variables.

> > If I get a HEAD request, I just print on stdout :

> > and the client receives a http header as I would expect -

> > HTTP/1.1 200 OK
> > Date: Sun, 09 May 1999 23:24:49 GMT
> > Server: Apache/1.3.4 (Unix) AuthMySQL/2.20
> > Connection: close

> > But, when I get a GET request, I determine the URL and print on stdout :

> > Location: <calculated URL>

> > but the client receives the html header of that document as the http
> > header, so
> > instead of like above, I get

> > <HTML>
> > <HEAD>
> >    <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html;
> > charset=iso-8859-1">
> >         .... etc.
> > </HEAD>
> > <BODY BACKGROUND="misc/greenwhite_paper.gif">

> > and then the body received by the client is missing the html header.

> > If I call up the page directly, I get the correct http header, and the
> > correct
> > document body with the html header in place.

> > I would be EXTREMELY GREATFUL for any help, or thoughts on this problem.

> > Please also reply by email, as my ISP's news server doesn't seem to
> > catch all the messages.

> > THANK YOU !

wrong header when cgi uses Location:

Post by Jeff » Wed, 12 May 1999 04:00:00

Thanks for the further info.

Quote:> And please, PLEASE, stop this dreadful habit of quoting the entire
> contents of the previous discussion.

Sorry. Please do note that I did snip a lot of stuff out of previous
replies. I always snip quotes of very long messages, but I consider
helpful
to leave in the message I am replying to, in case someone only reads my
message or doesn't receive on their server the other message.

I am offended by this. I think you were right to point out that I was
in the wrong group. But trying to upset me like this over such a trivial
point I consider off base.

More importantly, I think if you are going to chew anyone out, you
should
chew out the other people for responding to my original message, when
the
problem was clearly resolved days ago. Then I just post a simple thank
you
and to point out the problem was fixed, and you continue to pump more
information in to the thread. Information that neither I nor anyone else
asked for.

When I needed those details, I would have found them out after I found
the http specs/tutorials and read them, which I am not going to do now,
since the problem has long since been fixed. And I would do much better
reviewing the material before I go working on anything dealing with this
stuff in the future.

This whole thing should have died some time ago.

Quote:> Innocent or not, I'm
> sorry to have to point out that it makes you look totally clueless in
> the company of experienced usenauts.

Who cares if I LOOK clueless, since I AM clueless, otherwise I wouldn't
be posting stupid questions like my original post, in the wrong
newsgroup,
without having memorized the http and other stuff first, and using
diagnostic tools to watch what was going on in the first place.

Quote:> news.announce.newusers isn't meant
> to be optional.

I looked at that once, and only saw a bunch of irrelevant posts there.

Sorry for being such a looser.
Thanks again for the information, including the too much information
(I will put it to use SOMEDAY).

I promise I will never post in your newsgroup again.

Post by Alan J. Flavel » Thu, 13 May 1999 04:00:00

> When it got the redirect, it was apparently accessing it as
> HTTP 0.9. I don't know whether the program was asking for it as
> 0.9 or if the server just decided then to send it as 0.9 (since
> the client didn't supply info. for HTTP_USER_AGENT to be set).

This is a matter of how the HTTP request is made.

HTTP/0.9 is obsolete, but servers still support it for compatibility.
The client issues the request header

GET /path/to/url

and a single newline, and the server returns _only_ the body of the
response, without any HTTP header.

Current protocols issue e.g

GET /path/to/url HTTP/1.*
Host: dns.name.of.host

and any other relevant headers, followed by TWO newlines.
(* is 0 or 1 as appropriate).

and the server returns the relevant HTTP protocol headers, followed
by TWO newlines and the content body.  Read the HTTP spec for further
details (heavy going) or a tutorial.

As I said, you'd benefit from understanding how to issue these requests
by hand, e.g by using TELNET to the HTTP port of the server, and
understanding the responses.

And please, PLEASE, stop this dreadful habit of quoting the entire
contents of the previous discussion.  The netiquette wasn't developed
for fun, there's a genuine reason for it, which some vendors seem to
want to enlist innocent newcomers into destroying.  Innocent or not, I'm
sorry to have to point out that it makes you look totally clueless in
the company of experienced usenauts.  news.announce.newusers isn't meant
to be optional.

1. /cgi-bin/phf /cgi-bin/test-cgi /cgi-bin/handler

I've been seeing a number of attacks of this sort recently
from various sites in the http logs.  The time correlation
between the logs on various hosts suggests that the attacker
was scanning sequentially upward in IP addresses.  Since all
tcp and udp packets to ports below 1024 except for http,
smtp, and ident are filtered out for most, including the
attacking, sites, I'm not seeing anything else in the logs.

209.61.73.47 - - [04/Jul/1998:07:19:27 -0500] "GET /cgi-bin/phf" 404 -
209.61.73.47 - - [04/Jul/1998:07:19:28 -0500] "GET /cgi-bin/test-cgi" 404 -
209.61.73.47 - - [04/Jul/1998:07:19:28 -0500] "GET /cgi-bin/handler" 404 -

Is this a signature of some known attackware?  If so, what
other attacks accompany these http probes?

--

2. PPP/WFW-Net

3. location of iostream header file

4. ftptool question

5. Content-Location http header

6. March 27, 2002

7. Apache 1.2b3 & Location response header

8. fvwm configuration program

9. NETSCAPE server,location header

10. linux headers location?

11. Location headers and Status

12. redirect (via Location: header) on netscape server

13. Help about the diff btw MIME's Content-ID and Content-Location header