Netscape 4.5 problem downloading binaries from site using apache 1.3

Netscape 4.5 problem downloading binaries from site using apache 1.3

Post by Scot » Fri, 05 Mar 1999 04:00:00

   We have a client using Redhat 5.2 and Apache
1.3.3 running their web site and they're having a
problem with people downloading binaries from their
web page using netscape 4.5.  Instead of a dialog
box showing up asking wether or not to save the file,
the file automatically gets displayed in the browser
window, and the only way to actually save the file is
to 'save the link as.'  If anyone could suggest a way
to solve this problem, or point

Post by Joshua Sliv » Sat, 06 Mar 1999 04:00:00

>    We have a client using Redhat 5.2 and Apache
> 1.3.3 running their web site and they're having a
> problem with people downloading binaries from their
> web page using netscape 4.5.  Instead of a dialog
> box showing up asking wether or not to save the file,
> the file automatically gets displayed in the browser
> window, and the only way to actually save the file is
> to 'save the link as.'  If anyone could suggest a way
> to solve this problem, or point

Try
Addtype application/octet-stream exe bin
and whatever extensions you need.
Also see the value of DefaultType which determines how files with
unknown extensions are treated (probably as text/html or text/plain).

--
Joshua Slive

http://finance.commerce.ubc.ca/~slive/