REMOTE_USER and CGI Post

Post by Steve Hal » Thu, 12 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Hi.  Thanks for taking a second to read this.  I am trying to create a
session database in msql.  I have been using the REMOTE_USER env
variable to track a user's movement through the website, and I noticed
that when you do a CGI POST, the variable REMOTE_USER is not empty.  Is
there a special configuration necessary for this to work?

In access.conf, I have the following setup:

<directory /home/swhall/public_html/html>
Auth_MSQLhost localhost
Auth_MSQLdatabase test
Auth_MSQLpwd_table test1
Auth_MSQLuid_field Username
Auth_MSQLpwd_field Password
Auth_MSQL_EncryptedPasswords off
AuthName Troy State Faculty Member
AuthType basic
<limit post get>
order deny,allow
allow from all
require valid-user
</limit>
</directory>

Should this work?

Steve Hall
Flexwave International, Inc.
http://www.fli.net

REMOTE_USER and CGI Post

Post by Marc Slemk » Thu, 12 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi.  Thanks for taking a second to read this.  I am trying to create a
>session database in msql.  I have been using the REMOTE_USER env
>variable to track a user's movement through the website, and I noticed
>that when you do a CGI POST, the variable REMOTE_USER is not empty.  Is
>there a special configuration necessary for this to work?

Are you sure the CGI script is located under public_html/html, and not
in a seperate cgi-bin directory?  If it is in a seperate directory,
it doesn't fall under the access restrictions.
Quote:>In access.conf, I have the following setup:
><directory /home/swhall/public_html/html>
>Auth_MSQLhost localhost
>Auth_MSQLdatabase test
>Auth_MSQLpwd_table test1
>Auth_MSQLuid_field Username
>Auth_MSQLpwd_field Password
>Auth_MSQL_EncryptedPasswords off
>AuthName Troy State Faculty Member
>AuthType basic
><limit post get>
>order deny,allow
>allow from all
>require valid-user
></limit>
></directory>
>Should this work?
>Steve Hall
>Flexwave International, Inc.
>http://www.fli.net

1. Apache/CGI: $ENV{'REMOTE_USER'} and POST

If I POST to a CGI script it seems that the above environment variable is not
available (Apache 1.3.1 on Linux, however, have seen this also on older
Apache and BSDI). It's only available if I execute a script directly.

I assume this is not a bug?
So, what's the reason and is there any way to catch it, anyway?

Kai

--

Kai Sch?tzl, Berlin, Germany
ClubWin - Help for Windows Users: http://www.clubwin.com

2. konsole/KDE window placement

3. REMOTE_USER not set in CGI script???

4. Mosaic for Linux

5. Netscape-Server CGI variable REMOTE_USER isn't being passed

6. hostid

7. Running CGI programs as REMOTE_USER

8. Mainframe Equip CHEAP

9. CGI setuid to "REMOTE_USER"

10. How do you active REMOTE_USER CGI var in NCSA HTTPd 1.5

11. Apache Perl/CGI REMOTE_USER Authentication Question

12. Apache 065 doesn't gice CGI scripts REMOTE_USER

13. Apache CGI-Skripte and REMOTE_USER