Problem with virtual-hosting under linux

Problem with virtual-hosting under linux

Post by Ada » Sat, 15 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Hi,
we are running a www-server under linux 1.99.4 with apache 1.05
Now we wanna set up a second, virtuall domain on this server.
We tried it with the command ifconfig eth0:0 <IP-Adress>.
(the config_net_aliase is set in the kernel=.
But we get the error-message: invalid argument
Why???
Someone any idea?

E-Mail us:

Post by Miquel van Smoorenbu » Sat, 15 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>Hi,
>we are running a www-server under linux 1.99.4 with apache 1.05
>Now we wanna set up a second, virtuall domain on this server.
>We tried it with the command ifconfig eth0:0 <IP-Adress>.
>(the config_net_aliase is set in the kernel=.
>But we get the error-message: invalid argument
>Why???
>Someone any idea?

You do have to set IP aliasing to Y _twice_, once in the general netconfig
and once in the IP configuration. Also, you might just as well upgrade to
2.0.0 now that it's official...

Mike.
--
  Miquel van    | Cistron Internet Services   --    Alphen aan den Rijn.

Post by Vikt » Wed, 19 Jun 1996 04:00:00

: Hi,
: we are running a www-server under linux 1.99.4 with apache 1.05
: Now we wanna set up a second, virtuall domain on this server.
: We tried it with the command ifconfig eth0:0 <IP-Adress>.
: (the config_net_aliase is set in the kernel=.
: But we get the error-message: invalid argument
: Why???
: Someone any idea?

        I had the same problem. Now I use linux 1.2.13, apache 1.1b3 and
the dummy solution...

        Salut!

Viktor.

Problem with virtual-hosting under linux

Post by David Co » Sun, 23 Jun 1996 04:00:00

I've seen a couple of references to "the dummy solution," but haven't found
where it's described.  Anyone have a pointer?  Or willing to explain it?
I'm running apache 1.0.5 under Linux 1.2.13 and would like to set up a
virtual host.  Thanks.

--

R & D and Support +1-410-489-9521, fax +1-410-489-9512

Problem with virtual-hosting under linux

Post by Rick Henr » Sat, 29 Jun 1996 04:00:00

David,

Have a look at:
http://www.qosina.com/apache/virtual.html
You can also get more info from:
http://sunsite.unc.edu/mdw/HOWTO/mini/Virtual-Web
Hope this helps.

Rick Henry

> I've seen a couple of references to "the dummy solution," but haven't found
> where it's described.  Anyone have a pointer?  Or willing to explain it?
> I'm running apache 1.0.5 under Linux 1.2.13 and would like to set up a
> virtual host.  Thanks.
> --

> R & D and Support +1-410-489-9521, fax +1-410-489-9512

1. Apache 1.3b2: Default Host and all virtual hosts serve only first virtual hosts pages?

Hello.

Have been running 1.2b8 for a intranet and decided to move upto 1.3b2. I
have several name based virtual hosts that have been working under
1.2b8. After compiling and installing 1.3b2 my virtual hosts do not
work. In fact what happens is that even though DocumentRoot and default
server name is different, eg: www.serverA.net pointing to /www/default,
Apache 1.3b2 will always take me to the first defined virtual host as if
it's locked to it no matter what virtual host I try to browse. What
gives? Please post and E-Mail.

In /etc/hosts for my machines IP address I have

A.B.C.D         www.default.net www.virtA.net www.virtB.net

In ../conf/httpd.conf I have;

<VirtualHost www.virtA.net>

DocumentRoot /usr/local/www/virtA
ServerName www.virtA.net
ErrorLog logs/virtA.error.log
TransferLog logs/virtA.access.log
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost www.virtB.net>

DocumentRoot /usr/local/www/virtB
ServerName www.virtB.net
ErrorLog logs/virtB.error.log
TransferLog logs/virtB.access.log
</VirtualHost>

--

2. solaris 8 and ATI Rage Fury 128 32MB

3. FrontPage virtual hosting, removal or reset of virtual host

4. Solaris 2.7 x86 & Matrox Productiva G100 AGP

5. : How to prevent one named virtual host from "seeing" another virtual hosts files ?

6. Another Critical Windows Flaw Found

7. Mixing Apache Name Based Virtual Hosts and SSL Virtual Host

8. Web hosting, web tools, and virtual server space available here!! 1457

9. For Discussion: web virtual hosting vs mail virtual hosting

10. Strange Name-Based Virtual Host problem with Apache 1.3.23 on Linux

11. Apache 1.0 Linux 1.2.13 / Virtual Host Problem

12. name based virtual host problem RH7.2 Linux

13. Virtual hosts/virtual IP