Cobalt RAQ4 and Apache 1.3.12 - Cache issues

Cobalt RAQ4 and Apache 1.3.12 - Cache issues

Post by Morris Famli » Tue, 12 Dec 2000 12:54:46

I have a Cobalt RAQ4 which runs a few web sites.  I just began using it
in production within the last week.  Our web designers had a problem
when they uploaded some changed .html files to the site.  The changes
which had been made were not being displayed on the browser.  They were
using IE 5.5 which refused to pick up the changes in any fashion.  Then
they tried Netscape 4.x and found it too was displaying to old files.
After a 'Shift-Reload' in Netscape it was loading the changed .html.

Is there a way to have the latest of any page be displayed ALL the
time?  I was looking for the cache directives in httpd.conf, but found
they were all shut-off.  Here are some specifics:

Cobalt RAQ4
Linux 2.0.3x
Apache 1.3.12

Any help in fixing the cache problem would be appreciated!

Ed Morris

Cobalt RAQ4 and Apache 1.3.12 - Cache issues

Post by steve » Tue, 12 Dec 2000 21:28:20

Quote:> I have a Cobalt RAQ4 which runs a few web sites.  I just began using
it
> in production within the last week.  Our web designers had a problem
> when they uploaded some changed .html files to the site.  The changes
> which had been made were not being displayed on the browser.  They
were
> using IE 5.5 which refused to pick up the changes in any fashion.
Then
> they tried Netscape 4.x and found it too was displaying to old files.
> After a 'Shift-Reload' in Netscape it was loading the changed .html.

Sounds more like a client-side caching issue rather than the server, the
fact that reloading from the network showed the new content rather than
the client pulling it from its cache (as IE does regardless as to its
cache settings, another excellent MS product) shows Apache is serving it
at least. Look to figuring out how to stop clients caching.

--
steven

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.