Here's 1 solution to the Netscape Nav append-to-file bug

Here's 1 solution to the Netscape Nav append-to-file bug

Post by John Gian » Fri, 04 Jul 1997 04:00:00

A year ago I reported the Netscape Navigator bug where it is incapable
of appending to a file (you can only save to a new file). I also filed
a bug report with Netscape Communications at that time.

They have not fixed this onerous bug as far as I know.

Since there were no Netscape-provided solutions, a year ago I wrote my own.

with a case-insensitive subject line of:

       send netscape save-as workaround

And my procmail autoresponder will send the workaround by return reciept.
(Don't put anything in the body because I never see your message.)

If you know of a better solution, please forward it to:
        a) This newsgroup (comp.infosystems.www.browsers.x)
        b) Netscape (the company)
        c) me
        d) Douglas Webb (see request below)

Thanks,
John

+-------------< cut here for the next related email message >--------------+

To: jjg (John Gianni)
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 1997 09:59:35 -0400
Subject: Appending files in Netscape

A long, long time ago (August 1996) you posted a message to
comp.infosystems.www.browsers.x trying to find out how to append files from
Netscape instead of saving to separate filenames. You came up with a
solution involving emailing to a procmail filter. I've been told by my
bosses that they've seen Netscape offer an append option, and they want me
to incorporate this as a feature in my companies cgi product. Now _I've_
never seen this, and they haven't been able to show it to me, so I went off
to DejaNews to search for answers, and came across your message.

I was hoping you might have some new insights into this. Do you know of any
http headers which will cause Netscape to automatically append to a
filename rather than overwrite it?

Thanks.

Douglas Webb
Ovid Technologies

Here's 1 solution to the Netscape Nav append-to-file bug

Post by Nick K » Sun, 06 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> A year ago I reported the Netscape Navigator bug where it is incapable

What does this have to do with servers?

If I wanted this facility in Netscape, I think I'd try writing to a
FIFO ahead of some mail-based setup.   Doesn't that work?

--
Nick Kew
WebThing virtual office: personal and groupware desktop on the Web