compress pc files for unix

Post by Mark Aur » Tue, 04 Feb 1997 04:00:00

When I need to transfer a group of files on my pc
I usually .zip them into a single file, to compress
them and make the job easier.
The unix machine I use to host my web site doesnt
have zip, but has gunzip, tar, compress, etc.
However, 1) I dont know which to use, and 2)
I dont know of a pc (preferably 32-bit windows)
application to create such a file (Im assuming
gunzip cant recognize .zip files made on a pc).
Any help greatly appreciate.
Mark

compress pc files for unix

Post by Magnus Stenman -- root/webmas.. » Tue, 04 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> When I need to transfer a group of files on my pc
> I usually .zip them into a single file, to compress
> them and make the job easier.
> The unix machine I use to host my web site doesnt
> have zip, but has gunzip, tar, compress, etc.
> However, 1) I dont know which to use, and 2)
> I dont know of a pc (preferably 32-bit windows)
> application to create such a file (Im assuming
> gunzip cant recognize .zip files made on a pc).
> Any help greatly appreciate.
> Mark

Use 'unzip' (not sure where to find it, one place is
redhat, where I got mine) [it may be part of gunzip,
Its mentioned on the gunzip man-page]
--

compress pc files for unix

Post by Alex Jenne » Thu, 06 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> When I need to transfer a group of files on my pc
> I usually .zip them into a single file, to compress
> them and make the job easier.
> The unix machine I use to host my web site doesnt
> have zip, but has gunzip, tar, compress, etc.
> However, 1) I dont know which to use, and 2)
> I dont know of a pc (preferably 32-bit windows)
> application to create such a file (Im assuming
> gunzip cant recognize .zip files made on a pc).
> Any help greatly appreciate.
> Mark

Try   http://www.cdrom.com/pub/infozip/
or    ftp://ftp.uu.net/pub/archiving/zip/

You will find unix and win32 versions of zip and unzip.

On the other hand, why not put the GNU tools, including
gzip, gunzip, tar and a bash shell, on the win32 box?

http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32/

Regards
! Alex Jenner                                              !

! Witty quote under construction                           !
! Speaking for myself - not for Nokia Telecommunications   !

compress pc files for unix

Post by Craig S. Rit » Fri, 07 Feb 1997 04:00:00

You can use WinZip http://www.winzip.com

It can handle tar and gz formats.  It it has a nice Windows interface
as well.

Craig

>When I need to transfer a group of files on my pc
>I usually .zip them into a single file, to compress
>them and make the job easier.
>The unix machine I use to host my web site doesnt
>have zip, but has gunzip, tar, compress, etc.
>However, 1) I dont know which to use, and 2)
>I dont know of a pc (preferably 32-bit windows)
>application to create such a file (Im assuming
>gunzip cant recognize .zip files made on a pc).
>Any help greatly appreciate.
>Mark

www.riter.com                           PGP key available upon request
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right.           -Moliere

compress pc files for unix

Post by DAVID BALAZ » Fri, 14 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> When I need to transfer a group of files on my pc
> I usually .zip them into a single file, to compress
> them and make the job easier.
> The unix machine I use to host my web site doesnt
> have zip, but has gunzip, tar, compress, etc.
> However, 1) I dont know which to use, and 2)
> I dont know of a pc (preferably 32-bit windows)
> application to create such a file (Im assuming
> gunzip cant recognize .zip files made on a pc).
> Any help greatly appreciate.
> Mark

get unzip for unix

or gzip tar etc... for windows  :)
winzip is pretty good , but im not sure if it can create tar files

--
David Balazic , student

http://www.uni-mb.si/~uel003r2a
Computer: Amiga 1200 + LPS-340AT
--

1. Kermitting compressed files to a PC

I 've got a bunch of files in multiple directories on an old UNIX account I'd
like to kermit to my PC, but I don't want to do them one at a time and I don't
want to cat them into one big file (they're all text files).  Is there any way
these could be compressed together with something like the PC utility PKZIP,
kermitted over and then unzipped (uncompressed)?  In other words, is there a
PC version of the UNIX compress/uncompress that can handle files from both
platforms?  The files I want to transfer are on a Next cube.  Thanks.

Ed Krauss

2. Help, installed 3.1.2b, now incompatible library error '.lib/libc.so.4.6.27'

3. compressing files on a PC - uncompressing on mainframe

4. MAKE_SET stuff

5. mount PC files on UNIX using PC-NFS?

6. ppp server authentication please help

7. unix desktop on pc, pc desktop on unix box, free

8. Configure X with Intel D845GLLY motherboard

9. new Unix user: How do I transfer file from MSDOS diskette onto Unix pc hard disk?

10. Real file stats for file on a compressed file system

11. Compressing File System for Unix

12. PKZIP-compressed files under SCO Unix

13. compressing file on UNIX