How to tell who is using my applet!?

How to tell who is using my applet!?

Post by Kenneth Kin Lu » Sat, 04 Jul 1998 04:00:00



Let's say I write an applet, and many people use it.
My applet will re-direct people to my homepage
when they click on the applet.  However, I notice that
neither Netscape nor IE provides HTTP_REFERER
to the web server!  So, there is no way to tell where
my applet has gone!?  Many people can be using it but
I can't tell which sites are using it?  (except perhaps
to use a search engine).

 
 
 

How to tell who is using my applet!?

Post by Zek » Fri, 10 Jul 1998 04:00:00


Why not have the applet respond to your server via a socket when it is
clicked on before it redirects people to your homepage??

On Fri, 03 Jul 1998 23:41:02 -0700, Kenneth Kin Lum


>Let's say I write an applet, and many people use it.
>My applet will re-direct people to my homepage
>when they click on the applet.  However, I notice that
>neither Netscape nor IE provides HTTP_REFERER
>to the web server!  So, there is no way to tell where
>my applet has gone!?  Many people can be using it but
>I can't tell which sites are using it?  (except perhaps
>to use a search engine).


 
 
 

How to tell who is using my applet!?

Post by Kenneth Kin Lu » Sat, 11 Jul 1998 04:00:00


What do you mean by log?  The assuption here is that
I wrote the applet and some one uses it on their own site.
So you are sure you can log it, by how?


> Kenneth,

> You could make the Applet log the entry .


> > Let's say I write an applet, and many people use it.
> > My applet will re-direct people to my homepage
> > when they click on the applet.  However, I notice that
> > neither Netscape nor IE provides HTTP_REFERER
> > to the web server!  So, there is no way to tell where
> > my applet has gone!?  Many people can be using it but
> > I can't tell which sites are using it?  (except perhaps
> > to use a search engine).

--

Kenneth Kin Lum


          ICQ:  1956349
     Homepage:  http://www.wco.com/~kin
                (Stock, Skiing, MIDI, Bitmaps, Pop Artists, Anime)
                http://www.rankmaster.com
                (Top Webpages on Stocks and Online References)

 
 
 

How to tell who is using my applet!?

Post by Kenneth Kin Lu » Sat, 11 Jul 1998 04:00:00


What do you mean by log?  The assuption here is that
I wrote the applet and some one uses it on their own site.
So you are sure you can log it, by how?


> Kenneth,

> You could make the Applet log the entry .


> > Let's say I write an applet, and many people use it.
> > My applet will re-direct people to my homepage
> > when they click on the applet.  However, I notice that
> > neither Netscape nor IE provides HTTP_REFERER
> > to the web server!  So, there is no way to tell where
> > my applet has gone!?  Many people can be using it but
> > I can't tell which sites are using it?  (except perhaps
> > to use a search engine).

--

Kenneth Kin Lum


          ICQ:  1956349
     Homepage:  http://www.wco.com/~kin
                (Stock, Skiing, MIDI, Bitmaps, Pop Artists, Anime)
                http://www.rankmaster.com
                (Top Webpages on Stocks and Online References)

 
 
 

How to tell who is using my applet!?

Post by Kenneth Kin Lu » Sat, 11 Jul 1998 04:00:00


What do you mean by log?  The assuption here is that
I wrote the applet and some one uses it on their own site.
So you are sure you can log it, by how?


> Kenneth,

> You could make the Applet log the entry .


> > Let's say I write an applet, and many people use it.
> > My applet will re-direct people to my homepage
> > when they click on the applet.  However, I notice that
> > neither Netscape nor IE provides HTTP_REFERER
> > to the web server!  So, there is no way to tell where
> > my applet has gone!?  Many people can be using it but
> > I can't tell which sites are using it?  (except perhaps
> > to use a search engine).

--

Kenneth Kin Lum


          ICQ:  1956349
     Homepage:  http://www.wco.com/~kin
                (Stock, Skiing, MIDI, Bitmaps, Pop Artists, Anime)
                http://www.rankmaster.com
                (Top Webpages on Stocks and Online References)

 
 
 

How to tell who is using my applet!?

Post by Kenneth Kin Lu » Sat, 11 Jul 1998 04:00:00


However, the applet cannot access other site other than the
site that host the applet.  So there is no way to have that
applet contact my server or CGI, right?

> Why not have the applet respond to your server via a socket when it is
> clicked on before it redirects people to your homepage??

> On Fri, 03 Jul 1998 23:41:02 -0700, Kenneth Kin Lum

> >Let's say I write an applet, and many people use it.
> >My applet will re-direct people to my homepage
> >when they click on the applet.  However, I notice that
> >neither Netscape nor IE provides HTTP_REFERER
> >to the web server!  So, there is no way to tell where
> >my applet has gone!?  Many people can be using it but
> >I can't tell which sites are using it?  (except perhaps
> >to use a search engine).

 
 
 

How to tell who is using my applet!?

Post by Steve Marti » Sat, 11 Jul 1998 04:00:00



> Let's say I write an applet, and many people use it.
> My applet will re-direct people to my homepage
> when they click on the applet.  However, I notice that
> neither Netscape nor IE provides HTTP_REFERER
> to the web server!  So, there is no way to tell where
> my applet has gone!?  Many people can be using it but
> I can't tell which sites are using it?  (except perhaps
> to use a search engine).

Excuse my lack of java applet knowledge !

If the applet can tell where it is running from (i.e. HTTP_HOST),
then  could it redirect people to a cgi on your home site, passing
the value of HTTP_HOST in the query ?  The home-site cgi then either
pushes out the home page content, or does another redirect to the
real home page having 1st logged where it came from.

Just a thought!
Steve

 
 
 

How to tell who is using my applet!?

Post by Kenneth Kin Lu » Sat, 11 Jul 1998 04:00:00




> > Let's say I write an applet, and many people use it.
> > My applet will re-direct people to my homepage
> > when they click on the applet.  However, I notice that
> > neither Netscape nor IE provides HTTP_REFERER
> > to the web server!  So, there is no way to tell where
> > my applet has gone!?  Many people can be using it but
> > I can't tell which sites are using it?  (except perhaps
> > to use a search engine).

> Excuse my lack of java applet knowledge !

> If the applet can tell where it is running from (i.e. HTTP_HOST),
> then  could it redirect people to a cgi on your home site, passing
> the value of HTTP_HOST in the query ?  The home-site cgi then either
> pushes out the home page content, or does another redirect to the
> real home page having 1st logged where it came from.

> Just a thought!
> Steve


Exactly!  I see, it is not to connect to the
remote host but to redirect to a remote host
with a GET data of ?ip=123.45.67.890&name=log21.aol.com
is this the way?  Although the hostname...  does it
call the Dynamic name server of the person that is running
the applet?
 
 
 

1. Could someone tell me which application or applet this is

Hey,
This is a screenshot of kde3.1 but I think it also available for 3.0.4!

http://static.kdenews.org/mirrors/qwertz/kde31alpha/s3.png

At the bottom of this screenshot is a "bar"or"taskbar" it shows opened
applications:
"Shell - Console" and
"#kde-kdes (+n qwert..." and
"file:/ooo - Konqueror (2)" and
"X Settings - KDE Control Module"

Which application do I have to launch to get this bar running, on kde 3.0.4!
Is it possible? What is the name of the app?

Thanks a lot
Didier

2. IMAP

3. How do I tell what speed I am connected at?

4. apache/real server: serving media

5. rlogin can't tell who I am in Solaris 2.1

6. Is there a CC Mail Gateway?

7. How can my script tell if I am in the console?

8. need X/kde install steps

9. I am ready for Linus....Just tell me how to set it up!!!

10. How can I tell whether I am logging in on console inside .login?

11. can someone tell me what I am missing here?

12. Question: How can I tell what kernal I am presently running?