How to Reduce File Size from Mac to Unix? Help!

Post by Christian Smi » Sat, 16 Mar 1996 04:00:00

> Greetings!

> I am using a Macintosh system to author WWW pages as well as uploading them
> onto my Presence Provider's server running BSDI BSD 2.0 on a Pentium 100.

> The architecture of the Mac OS has a minimum file size depending on the
> size of the HDD - on a 160 MB HDD, it is 3 k. It means that if a file is
> 0.5 k or 2.9 k, the size is 3 k.

> As we know that graphics on WWW pages should be as small as possible to
> ease bandwidth traffic, the problem is that when I upload to my Provider's
> server, the files takes the size of 3 k.
> __The_content_length_of_such_graphic files_are_actually_much_less!

> How to make the Unix server take the minimum size?

> The FTP client I am using is Fetch 2.1.1. The method I used to upload is
> "Raw Data".

It doesn't matter.  All that will be transfered will be the # of bytes of
actual data, not how many blocks of the disk the file takes up.  So, say
an image is 6,001 bytes in length, than this is what will be transfered,
regardless of how large in k the file is on the server.

Post by Kevi » Sat, 16 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Greetings!

I am using a Macintosh system to author WWW pages as well as uploading them
onto my Presence Provider's server running BSDI BSD 2.0 on a Pentium 100.

The architecture of the Mac OS has a minimum file size depending on the
size of the HDD - on a 160 MB HDD, it is 3 k. It means that if a file is
0.5 k or 2.9 k, the size is 3 k.

As we know that graphics on WWW pages should be as small as possible to
ease bandwidth traffic, the problem is that when I upload to my Provider's
server, the files takes the size of 3 k.
__The_content_length_of_such_graphic files_are_actually_much_less!

How to make the Unix server take the minimum size?

The FTP client I am using is Fetch 2.1.1. The method I used to upload is
"Raw Data".

I would sincerely appreciate any help to solve this problem.

Thanks in advance!

Kevin.

Post by Patrick Co » Sat, 16 Mar 1996 04:00:00

> I am using a Macintosh system to author WWW pages as well as uploading them
> onto my Presence Provider's server running BSDI BSD 2.0 on a Pentium 100.
> The architecture of the Mac OS has a minimum file size depending on the
> size of the HDD - on a 160 MB HDD, it is 3 k. It means that if a file is
> 0.5 k or 2.9 k, the size is 3 k....
> ease bandwidth traffic, the problem is that when I upload to my Provider's
> server, the files takes the size of 3 k.
> How to make the Unix server take the minimum size?
> The FTP client I am using is Fetch 2.1.1. The method I used to upload is
> "Raw Data".

This is very odd. I use a similar procedure and find that this is NOT the
case. Files shrink when I upload them to a UNIX system from the Mac using
Fetch. I just created a very small graphic (87 byte GIF file, which takes
up 2Kb on my 80 MByte hard disk), uploaded it and then downloaded it again
as raw data. File transfer showed as 87 bytes in the Fetch log. It also
shows as that size when downloaded from Netscape. I am using Fetch 3.0,
but this also happened with 2.1.1. The ISP is using an HP machine running
(?) HP-UX B.08.00 (sorry I am not a UNIX person, that is what it says on
the log-in--the ISP is at http://RTPnet.intercenter.net/)
Best wishes in figuring out the problem,

--
Patrick Coin
Durham, NC

http://coin-lpp.niehs.nih.gov/

1. How to reduce the font size of menu bar??..help help help.....

All of a sudden one day my "menu bar" and the "bookmark bar" on netscape
4.0 beta6 for Linux is large. When I saay large, I mean the fonts are
large. Now I can't even see some of my bookmarks because they scroll off
the side of the brower window.

How do I get this back down to defaul size? I realize that font sizes
can be changed in netscape, but iI didn't even touch those settings so I
know it is not that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Running Netscape PR6?

3. ** HELP: How do I convert a MIME file on UNIX to Mac folders/files? **

4. sound card

5. Reducing the size of a log file (without interrupting a running application) (Bourne shell)

6. Permissons help pleaaaaaaase

7. reduce file system size in my AIX RS/6000

8. Help: Still trying Network Booting

9. how to reduce file-system cache size

10. reduce the file size

11. how to reduce size of wtmpx file

12. Reduce Log File Size - How?

13. reduce file system size in my AIX RS/6000