Apache, Frontpage, And RedHat 7.1

Post by Jim Levi » Fri, 24 Aug 2001 11:42:08

Does anyone have any good words to say about how to get Frontpage (either
FP 2000 or FP2002) to work with Apache 1.3.20 (or 1.3.19) on a Redhat 7.1
system with all applicable updates installed? "good words" would be a way
to make it work, not reasons to avoid it. I think I know what most of
those are and wouldn't use it for anything, but this is someone else's
server and they seem pretty convinced that they need it.

I'm building my own patched copy of Apache and can get sites that have FP
extensions to work with 2002, but I can't get user (Author) or admin
authentication to work. The site authors get a login box from their
Frontpage client, but the username isn't accepted. The same thing happens
for a Server Admin page created with:

# /owsadm.exe -o setadminport -s /opt/Apache/conf/httpd.conf -port 8090 \

Quote:> -username adminuser -pw MyPassword

when I try to access the Server Admin page.  The FP extensions
were installed via the MS fp50_install script (after modification to keep
it from replacing my site built httpd). I don't enounter any errors,
authentication just doesn't work. I can see that .htaccess files were
created in each Document Root and they point to the the
_vti_pvt/service.pwd files, which contain the correct user names and an
encrypted password.

Oh yes, the Apache config that I'm trying at the moment is "dirt simple",
with the exception that I'm targeting the installation to /opt/Apache. An
the config.status file looks like:

./configure \
"--with-layout=Apache" \
"--prefix=/opt/Apache" \
"--enable-module=most" \
"--enable-shared=max" \
"--add-module=mod_frontpage.c" \

Interestingly, I can't get FP 2000 to work at all. It installs okay and
everything looks correct. but attempts to access any site cause the
answering httpd process to die. I suppose that could be because I'm not
using Apache 1.3.12, but then it could be something else entirely. On the
surface FP 2002 looks to be a better choice, if I can solve the
authentication problem.

--
The instructions said to use Windows 98 or better, so I installed FreeBSD.

1. Apache/Redhat 7.1/Frontpage extensions

Has anyone set that up?  I tried to get that working today, and I had
absolutely no luck.  I read a few whitepapers on the MS website, and also
some info on www.apache.org.  I still wasn't able to get things functioning.

Does anyone have any advice.. or link to a good resource for information?

Billy Tolcher

2. file extension for korn shell script

3. Apache question (Redhat 7.1)

4. Logcheck ignores logcheck.violations.ignore file !

5. redhat 7.1/2.4.4 Apache problems

6. Strange listening ports

7. HELP: HELP: Redhat 7.1 + Apache + PHP + MySQL + PgSQL

8. GNOME compliant Window Managers

9. redhat 7.1/2.4.4 Apache problems

10. Tomcat-Apache under RedHat 7.1

11. HELP: HELP: Redhat 7.1 + Apache + PHP + MySQL + PgSQL

12. Apache 1.3.20 on RedHat 7.1: shmctl() failure pissing me off

13. Tomcat-Apache under RedHat 7.1