1. tinyX gives "xinit: Unknown error (errno 0): Client error." error and dies
I am trying to set up tinyX on a system I have at home. The system is
a 386SX/16 with 8 megs of RAM, 12 megs of swap space, and around 160
megs of hard drive space. It has a generic 256K video card and a Dell
13 inch monitor. (Not much of a system, I know, but I got it for
free). When I try to start up tinyX, the X server starts up (I see the
dithered background with the X cursor), and then it dies. Below is the
output it produces on the console as it is starting and dying:
Script started on Sun Oct 1 14:31:24 1995
XFree86 Version 2.0 / X Window System
(protocol Version 11, revision 0, vendor release 5000)
Operating System: Linux
VGA16: server for 4-bit colour VGA (Patchlevel 0):
(using VT number 9)
(**) stands for supplied, (--) stands for probed/default values
(**) Mouse: type: Microsoft, device: /dev/ttyS0, baudrate: 1200
(**) FontPath set to "/usr/X386/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
(--) VGA16: chipset: generic
(--) VGA16: videoram: 256k (using 256k)
(--) VGA16: clocks: 25.50 28.32 35.50 0.00
(--) VGA16: Maximum allowed dot-clock: 90MHz
(**) VGA16: Mode "640x480": mode clock = 28.322, clock used = 28.322
(**) VGA16: Virtual resolution set to 800x600
waiting for X server to shut down
xinit: Unknown error (errno 0): Client error.
Does anyone have any idea what is causing it to die like this?
Suggestions are greatly appreciated. Obviously it would be better if I
were running on a faster machine, but I can't afford to upgrade just
yet, so if anyone can suggest how to get this working in the meantime,
I would be most grateful.
Matthew Cravit, | "Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum
DePaul University, Chicago IL | soli proscripti catapultas haberunt."
2. '???' replaces every '-' character in man pages
3. Install error on G3: "error unpacking archive: unknown error"
4. NCD Explora 401
5. Problem installing COL on an 11.5GB Maxtor HDD - Cylinder Number Error Message
6. core file not recognised
7. what is Error number 7 and 11???????
8. Reliable Curses Library ?
9. Kernel compilation error: GCC Internal errors 6 and 11
10. After running startx: Caught error 11, fatal error, Server aborted
11. GCC2.7.0 error: internal compiler error, got fatalsignal 11.
12. (Review ID: 159248) Starting Tomcat servlet engine gives HotSpot Virtual Machine Error: 11, error ID
13. Very weird gtar errors between Version 1.11.1 and 1.11.8