Brand new to Apache stuff NEED HELP!!!

Post by JohnWigg » Sat, 25 Aug 2001 02:37:49

I was recently told to write a statement that redirects 3 addresses to a single
ip address.

example www.abc.net, www.bca.net, and www.cab.net all to 123.456.789.101

I'm looking at the FAQ and other documentation on apache.org and since this is
my first time dealing with the concept, I'm struggling.  Please help me out

John Wigger

http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/misc/rewriteguide.html

Post by Joshua Sliv » Sat, 25 Aug 2001 03:17:56

> http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/misc/rewriteguide.html

>> I was recently told to write a statement that redirects 3 addresses to a
> single
>> ip address.

>> example www.abc.net, www.bca.net, and www.cab.net all to 123.456.789.101

>> I'm looking at the FAQ and other documentation on apache.org and since
> this is
>> my first time dealing with the concept, I'm struggling.  Please help me
> out

Woof, that would be overkill for this problem.  It actually sounds
to me like this person is looking for DNS configuration, not Apache
configuration.  If all you want is those three domain names to
point at that IP address, then you must change your DNS server.

[By the way, when did the quoting style in this newsgroup suddenly
get so bad?  New text goes BELOW the quotes in usenet.]

--
Joshua Slive

http://slive.ca/

Brand new to Apache stuff NEED HELP!!!

Post by Nemesis Service » Sat, 25 Aug 2001 03:22:06

You are correct this is 1 of many ways but the DNS changes will not be seem
by nameservers straight away until they cache new DNS information, this is
why doing a Redirect for the 3 domains to the 1 ip address as it works
straight away.

What I personally do is the following:

dns modifcations / adding eg: www.domain.co.uk = new ip address
www2.domain.co.uk = new ip address
redirect www.domain.co.uk from apache webserver to www2.domain.co.uk

the above will make any requests to the new ip address of www go to the new
site, but if some DNS servers haven't saw the new changes then it will go to
the old site, but then get redirected to the new www2 hence NOW DOWNTIME

> Woof, that would be overkill for this problem.  It actually sounds
> to me like this person is looking for DNS configuration, not Apache
> configuration.  If all you want is those three domain names to
> point at that IP address, then you must change your DNS server.

> [By the way, when did the quoting style in this newsgroup suddenly
> get so bad?  New text goes BELOW the quotes in usenet.]

> --
> Joshua Slive

> http://slive.ca/

Brand new to Apache stuff NEED HELP!!!

Post by JohnWigg » Sat, 25 Aug 2001 05:48:59

He told me that I should "go read the apache proxy module documentation and
come up with a statement that redirects www.abc.net, bca.net, and cab.net to
123.456.789.101..." so if any of you can help in telling me how to do it via
apache I'd really appreciate it... as it currently is done that way for a
different ip addy and it seems to have fallen on my shoulders

Post by Joshua Sliv » Sat, 25 Aug 2001 06:19:22

> He told me that I should "go read the apache proxy module documentation and
> come up with a statement that redirects www.abc.net, bca.net, and cab.net to
> 123.456.789.101..." so if any of you can help in telling me how to do it via
> apache I'd really appreciate it... as it currently is done that way for a
> different ip addy and it seems to have fallen on my shoulders

Hmmm, well see the docs for mod_proxy, and in particular, ProxyPass
and ProxyPassReverse.

Not much more I can tell you beyond what the docs say.

--
Joshua Slive

http://slive.ca/

Brand new to Apache stuff NEED HELP!!!

Post by JohnWigg » Sat, 25 Aug 2001 06:24:46

Quote:>Hmmm, well see the docs for mod_proxy, and in particular, ProxyPass
>and ProxyPassReverse.

>Not much more I can tell you beyond what the docs say.

I understand you're trying to help me out... but I'll tell you that I don't
understand what the docs are telling me... I'm not that skilled/informed in the
matter of coding anything but html and what not... so if you're able to give me
an example of how to do it, I'd be able to understand better.

Post by Joshua Sliv » Sat, 25 Aug 2001 06:39:30

>>Hmmm, well see the docs for mod_proxy, and in particular, ProxyPass
>>and ProxyPassReverse.

>>Not much more I can tell you beyond what the docs say.
> I understand you're trying to help me out... but I'll tell you that I don't
> understand what the docs are telling me... I'm not that skilled/informed in the
> matter of coding anything but html and what not... so if you're able to give me
> an example of how to do it, I'd be able to understand better.

Well, the basic technique is, you place the following in httpd.conf:

ProxyPass / http://other.server.example.com/
ProxyPassReverse / http://other.server.example.com/

But there are a ton of details that I don't know about how your site
is setup, and what exactly your boss want, so I have no idea if that
will work for you.

My only suggestion is that you either:
1. Read through a chunk of the apache docs and find a server that
you can play around with so that you can learn the basics; or
2. Buy a book about apache that has good proxy coverage.

What you are talking about (reverse proxies) is a relatively
complicated topic, and you can't expect to make it work without
some learning.

--
Joshua Slive

http://slive.ca/

Brand new to Apache stuff NEED HELP!!!

Post by JohnWigg » Sat, 25 Aug 2001 06:52:22

Thanks,

btw this isn't for a job and the guy wanting me to do this isn't my boss, so
please don't think I'm scamming info outta ya for that.  It is for a MUD and
the MUD's webpage.

I'm redoing the webpage for the game and I think he's just trying to*with
me and have me do what I asked him to do.  I'm sure he just would have
to insert the text and numbers he wants in his current setup... but rather he
wants me to do it as a form of punishment or he wants me to just come back and
fail.

As not wanting to fail I came onto this newsgroup hoping to find someone who
could give me an example of how to set it up... or better yet take my examples
and turn them into a working statement.

So I sit here trying to understand these docs on mod_proxy without having any
previous background on the matter and I'm stumped seeing how he expected me not
to fail.

John Wigger

Brand new to Apache stuff NEED HELP!!!

Post by Nemesis Service » Sat, 25 Aug 2001 07:05:12

why the proxy module part I'm sure it's the rewrite module unless he wants
the website tunnelled through the proxy module

very quick off the top of me head Redirect host

<VirtualHost www.domain1.co.uk>
ServerName www.domain1.co.uk
Redirect / http://123.456.789.101/
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost www.domain2.co.uk>
ServerName www.domain2.co.uk

<VirtualHost www.domain3.co.uk>
ServerName www.domain3.co.uk
Redirect / http://123.456.789.101/
</VirtualHost>

Quote:> He told me that I should "go read the apache proxy module documentation

Post by Herb Stei » Sat, 25 Aug 2001 07:25:30

> > http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/misc/rewriteguide.html

> >> I was recently told to write a statement that redirects 3 addresses to
> > single
> >> ip address.

> >> example www.abc.net, www.bca.net, and www.cab.net all to
123.456.789.101

> >> I'm looking at the FAQ and other documentation on apache.org and since
> > this is
> >> my first time dealing with the concept, I'm struggling.  Please help me
> > out

> Woof, that would be overkill for this problem.  It actually sounds
> to me like this person is looking for DNS configuration, not Apache
> configuration.  If all you want is those three domain names to
> point at that IP address, then you must change your DNS server.

> [By the way, when did the quoting style in this newsgroup suddenly
> get so bad?  New text goes BELOW the quotes in usenet.]

DNS solves the redirection nicely. I do it all the time.

Posting style got lost when Outlook (Express) came into use. I
use it and have to mess with the message each time to avoid
looking like a dork (and sometimes even that doesn't work).

--
Herb Stein
The Herb Stein Group

314 952-4601

Brand new to Apache stuff NEED HELP!!!

Post by JohnWigg » Sat, 25 Aug 2001 13:49:45

Okay, hopefully any of you out there that helped me yesterday are still
checking up on me... I was able to talk to the guy who wanted me to look into
the apache config thing.  the reason he wants to do the apache rather than just
dns is the address that was needed to be Proxied was behind a RFC1918 NATed
route, so if anyone can give me pointers on this regard... the best I can come
up with is giving me a headache from re-reading ProxyPass info

any help is appreciated

Brand new to Apache stuff NEED HELP!!!

Post by Jon Drukm » Sat, 25 Aug 2001 15:14:24

Quote:>Okay, hopefully any of you out there that helped me yesterday are still
>checking up on me... I was able to talk to the guy who wanted me to look into
>the apache config thing.  the reason he wants to do the apache rather than just
>dns is the address that was needed to be Proxied was behind a RFC1918 NATed
>route, so if anyone can give me pointers on this regard... the best I can come
>up with is giving me a headache from re-reading ProxyPass info

so you're saying the origin web server is on a RFC1918 address, like
10.10.10.10?

the easiest thing in my opinion would be to make the public IP do the
NAT redirection.

eg, on freebsd, when you start natd, you start it like:

/sbin/natd -redirect_port tcp 10.10.10.10:80 your.public.ip:80 -n ed0

substitute your public ethernet interface for ed0.

your nat configuration may vary depending on your OS.

if you are really determined to do it the hard way, install apache
on the public machine and set up mod_proxy to display the private
content.

ProxyRequests on
ProxyPass / http://10.10.10.10/
ProxyPassReverse / http://10.10.10.10/

oughta start you on the right path.

now you have two apaches to manage and monitor instead of just one.  lucky you.

-jsd-

1. Brand New Newbie Needs Help Getting Started.

That's right, I'm brand new and I would like to learn UNIX. Somebody
told me to get a copy of LINUX so I went to www.linux.org to get one
and
the ftp doesn't seem to work. So I tryed a different link and
although
it worked, there were so many different files that I had no idea
which
one to d/l.
Would some very nice person help me out. Windows95/98 is really
starting
to bug me and DOS seems to be all but dead now so UNIX is what I
would
like to learn. I do have a book call UNIX the Basics by Kevin
Reichard
but I need some software to make use of the book.

Thank you in advance for any help you wonderful people can give me.

PS. I posted this message to another news group as well. (alt.os.linux)
If I'm in the wrong place please let me know that as well. I don't want
to upset anyone with stupid questions and there are going to be a few..

2. Porting a SCO Unix app to LINUX

3. Brand new and need help with modem

4. lockup on boot

5. Pls help: my brand new SS5 freezes once a day.

6. E-mail mailing lists

7. Pls help: my brand new SS5 freezes once a

8. New: unexpected IO-APIC, please file a report at...

9. Please help in my frustrating brand new install!

10. Old machine Tomcat+SSL, new machine Apache+SSL - new certificates needed?

11. I need a new kernel, but hd is stuff'd...