Help on chosing hardware platform for www server

Help on chosing hardware platform for www server

Post by Jorge Gomes da Silv » Thu, 10 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Hello, I'm working in a project involving a WWW server and I would like
to hear your opinion on which would be the best hardware and OS solution
for me.

The HTML pages will be the interface for an on-line system which will
have heavy access to databases in other environments, including IBM
Mainframes.

We will be using NetScape Commerce Server which is available for UNIX
(Digital/OSF1, HP/HP-UX, IBM/Aix, Silicon Graphics/Irix, Sun/Solaris or
SunOs, Intel/BSDI) and Windows NT (Digital Alpha or Intel).

I would like to have your oppinion on which hardware and OS I should use.

I heard that Solaris was limited 32 incoming 32 TCP/IP connections which
is probably not enought considering the machine will also work as FTP
server and SMTP server. Any alerts of this type will be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

1. Which hardware platform for WWW server ?

Hi,

We are looking to start bringing some WWW (also mail, dns, etc.) servers
into our organisation. Most of the skills base we have is Unix oriented, but
what are the advantages and diasadvantages of the different hardware
platforms for ths kind of task. EG Sun w/Solaris, SGI w/Irix, IBM w/Aix,
Intel w/BSDI (or whatever) ?

Ian.

2. unresolved symbols?

3. Help needed in acquiring hardware for Linux WWW server

4. help ipfw

5. HELP: What kind of hardware for a Linux WWW-server?

6. RedHat automounter Problem

7. Linux as a WWW server Platform

8. linux router connecting to dd-wrt(s) for VPN

9. Queries on WWW Server Platforms

10. Novell Netware WWW Servers versus Linux WWW Servers

11. Hardware Fax Server. Platform undependant

12. Benchmarks of Web server hardware platforms?

13. Internal WWW Server Hardware Specs