Organisation of a new server...hints please

Organisation of a new server...hints please

Post by Scott Spenc » Sun, 15 Dec 1996 04:00:00

I am setting up a Linux 2.0.0 Apache 1.1b3 web server I will support ftp
, irc and anything else that is relevant to a business-orientated server
(I am sure there are things I'll need that I don't know about yet) With
regard to Hardware, I have a p100 32 RAM 1.3 Gb HD + .6 Gb HD (IDE) PCI
3Com ethernet connection to the internet (via an ISP) I plan to host a
number of non-IP virtual hosts. Considering the ability to sustain
~10,000 hits per day (imagine the most I say) What should I consider
regarding;      Hardware upgrades
                        Directory organisation
                        Software
                        Directly connnecting (not via ISP)
                        What connection?
                        Server addresses www.here.com or                                               here.com
                        Non IP virtual addressing- Good idea (ps I know                                 about the short
falls with <NS 2.0)?

Thank you very much for your reply I hope to learn where some have come
across problems,

Scott Spence

Organisation of a new server...hints please

Post by C. R. Oldh » Tue, 17 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Scott> I am setting up a Linux 2.0.0 Apache 1.1b3 web server
[...]
     > With regard to Hardware, I
     > have a p100 32 RAM 1.3 Gb HD + .6 Gb HD (IDE) PCI 3Com ethernet
     > connection to the internet (via an ISP)
[...]
     > What should I consider regarding; Hardware upgrades

(I'm probably going to start a flamewar here.)

Go SCSI.  Let me repeat that.  Go SCSI.  Get the IDE stuff off your
machine.

--
| Charles R. (C. R.) Oldham     |         NCA Commission on Schools  |

| V:602/965-8700 F:602/965-9423 |________      Tempe, AZ 85287-3011_ |
| "I like it!"--Citizen G'Kar, Babylon 5 | #include <disclaimer.h>X_>|

1. Ohh brave NEW WORLD machines, please give me an install hint....

i am running a G4-400, with 896 Mb RAM, a second slave IBM 30 Gb, a
second monitor with a TwinTurbo 4Mb card, an Adaptec 2906 SCSI card.
I have bought my slave IBM 30 Gb to install Linux, as I use my first
disk to make a living. The first disk is the original Quantum bus 2, ID0
The slave is bus 2, ID 1.
I didn't want to use the entire slave for LinuxPPC, so I partitioned the
drive with drive set-up 1.9.2 into the following partitions:

partition  9  HFS+  7 Gb
partition 10  HFS+  7 Gb
partition 11  HFS   5 Gb for booting and sharing
partition 12  A/UX  3 Gb root
partition 13  A/UX  1 Gb swap
partition 14  A/UX  6 Gb usr

As XBoot didn't work for me, I checked the web to find the install method
for NewWorld machines, I booted from my HFS partition on the slave and
the rebooted holding the "c" to boot into the Linux installer.
Everytime I received the same error, on my main screen I can read config
found, kernel found and then the messages move to my second small monitor
"copied tree, copied..(?)initialising fake screen,...qui?...
On my left the black screen states: Booting........
And Then Nothing Happens.....................
On the Linux prompt I use the Tab and type Install,.....everything by
the book....
I hoped the problem was the video card or second monitor, so I removed
the card and monitor and tried again,........
Same error !
Yesterday I spent 6 hours reading this(very usefull) newsgroup, but I
didn't find a definite answer.
Now I have the feeling I might have to edit my configfile, it now looks
like this:

init-message = "\nWelcome to LinuxPPC!\nHit <TAB> for boot options.\n\n"
timeout = 50
default = install

image = vmlinux.2.2.15pre3
label = linuxppc
novideo

image = vmlinux_ibook
label = ibook
novideo

image = vmlinux.2.2.15pre3
label = install
initrd = ramdisk.image.gz
initrd-size = 8192
novideo

image = vmlinux.2.2.15pre3
label = framebuffer
initrd = ramdisk.image.gz
initrd-size = 8192
append = "video=atyfb:vmode:17"

image = vmlinux.2.2.15pre3
label = text_install
initrd = ramdisk.image.gz
initrd-size = 8192
append = "video=ofonly text"

I am getting a little bit desparate, because I really want to learn
Linux/Unix and I hope someone out there can give me the right hint....

2. libXt (Doom)

3. New Organization: Free Software Union

4. problem - postfix stopped mail delivery

5. New Organization to Serve Free Software Community: Free Software Union

6. Sec. Vulnerability in asecure (Rev.02)

7. New Organization

8. G++ not running

9. FSU: Announcing Free Software Task List; new funding and organization for FS

10. A new organization for Open Source

11. new organization

12. FSU - Announcing Free Software Task List; Allows new funding and organization for FS

13. Info please - status of Linux in non profit organisations