NetScape Plug-Ins for AIX

Post by Tim Wai » Tue, 13 Feb 1996 04:00:00

This may not be the most appropriate place to post, si I apologize in
advance.

I'm looking for commercial (or free) plug-ins for NetScape that allow
viewing of MS Word documents in their native formats.  The word documents
are version 6.0 for Windows.

These plug-ins need to be for the AIX version of NetScape.

Thanks for any info!

.taw

--
Tim Waire                                                   FidoNet: 1:261/1138

P.O. Box 5001                                               Voice: 410.893.5343
Glen Arm, MD 21057 USA                *Mac - A FirstClass BBS: 410.668.3903

NetScape Plug-Ins for AIX

Post by David Thomas Richard Giv » Thu, 15 Feb 1996 04:00:00

>This may not be the most appropriate place to post, si I apologize in
>advance.

>I'm looking for commercial (or free) plug-ins for NetScape that allow
>viewing of MS Word documents in their native formats.  The word documents
>are version 6.0 for Windows.

>These plug-ins need to be for the AIX version of NetScape.

I don't think plug-ins are available for any Unix version at the moment.
My copy of Netscape 2.0 (released) has a `About plug-ins' option in the
Help menu, but there doesn't appear to be a Unix plug-ins SDK available yet.

   Why do people surf the Information Superhighway? Won't they get run over?
               http://www-hons-cs.cs.st-andrews.ac.uk/~dg
              Sun-Earther David Daton Given  of Lochcarron

NetScape Plug-Ins for AIX

Post by Steve Mitchel » Sat, 17 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

> I don't think plug-ins are available for any Unix version at the moment.
> My copy of Netscape 2.0 (released) has a `About plug-ins' option in the
> Help menu, but there doesn't appear to be a Unix plug-ins SDK available yet.

Face it folks..  Netscape has gone 'DOS'..  The same market forces that drove
application developers to write applications for DOS (i.e. there are millions
more DOS machines than anything else) will drive plug-in developers to write
plug-ins for windows.  Since Joe Average won't be able to logically differentiate
between his plug-in/browser/os, Netscape with Windows Plug-Ins X, Y, and Z
will become 'Netscape' to most people.

--steve

NetScape Plug-Ins for AIX

Post by Jim O'Quin » Tue, 20 Feb 1996 04:00:00

> > I don't think plug-ins are available for any Unix version at the moment.
> > My copy of Netscape 2.0 (released) has a `About plug-ins' option in the
> > Help menu, but there doesn't appear to be a Unix plug-ins SDK available yet.

> Face it folks..  Netscape has gone 'DOS'..  The same market forces that drove
> application developers to write applications for DOS (i.e. there are millions
> more DOS machines than anything else) will drive plug-in developers to write
> plug-ins for windows.  Since Joe Average won't be able to logically differentiate
> between his plug-in/browser/os, Netscape with Windows Plug-Ins X, Y, and Z
> will become 'Netscape' to most people.

  Hmm, I don't know if I'd blame Netscape.  They provided an open interface to
  their product (Netscape), its the rest of the world who writes the plug-ins
  (Adobe, WebFX, etc).

  It may be the interface thats the problem (the plug ins should be written
  in Java so they're portable), but I don't know enough about the API.

  Anyway, I agree somewhat 'cuz AIX does not have a single plug-in (or Java
  support for that matter).

  Jim O'Quinn

Quote:

--

AIX Tools Development                              793-8041
The stop() method throws a ThreadDeath object at the thread to kill it.

NetScape Plug-Ins for AIX

Post by Carl Kumarada » Tue, 20 Feb 1996 04:00:00

> ... Hmm, I don't know if I'd blame Netscape.  They provided an open interface to

                                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quote:>   their product (Netscape), its the rest of the world who writes the plug-ins
>   (Adobe, WebFX, etc).

>   It may be the interface thats the problem (the plug ins should be written
>   in Java so they're portable), but I don't know enough about the API.

>   Anyway, I agree somewhat 'cuz AIX does not have a single plug-in (or Java
>   support for that matter).

>   Jim O'Quinn

No.  Up until recently, Netscape only provided plug-in API support for
Windows and Mac.

Carl.
---
J. Carl Kumaradas                           Ontario Cancer Institute

NetScape Plug-Ins for AIX

ref: courier.urbana.mcd.mot.com comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix:7184 comp.unix.aix:71173 comp.infosystems.www.browsers.x:2447

--

I fear Steve is right. The only hope for non-x86-win95 OS vendors will be
to sponsor ports of the plug-in development kits & the top 5-10 plugs-ins

| Mark Scott                    | Don't interrupt me while I'm       |

NetScape Plug-Ins for AIX

Post by Mark Peski » Sat, 24 Feb 1996 04:00:00

> I fear Steve is right. The only hope for non-x86-win95 OS vendors will be
> to sponsor ports of the plug-in development kits & the top 5-10 plugs-ins
> themselves. If only plug-ins could be written in java .....

  The policy of most of the plug-in developers regarding OS development
(or lack thereof for anything other than Windows) has always seemed
somewhat short sighted to me in light of the fact that UNIX & Mac
platforms dominate Web server market.  I don't think many web site
developers are going to take advantage of a plug in if they can't
evaluate the results on their server/development platforms.

  As for Java applet support, Apple and IBM need to get off their
collective arses and work with Netscape to get the ports done ASAP.
Personally I've never found it particularaly difficult to port software
from other UNIX environments to AIX, but the folks at Netscape seem to
feel otherwise.
__________________________________
Mark Peskin                              \_______   _______/

Electrical and Computer Engineering             \   /     What, Me
Microelectronics Research Center                |^ ^|      Worry?
                                                 \_/

NetScape Plug-Ins for AIX

Post by Jiann-Ming » Fri, 08 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>  As for Java applet support, Apple and IBM need to get off their
>collective arses and work with Netscape to get the ports done ASAP.
>Personally I've never found it particularaly difficult to port software
>from other UNIX environments to AIX, but the folks at Netscape seem to
>feel otherwise.

Perhaps the problem is more with Sun than with Netscape.
--

                                http://www2.msstate.edu/~js1
MSU FSAE, Powered by Honda      http://sae.me.msstate.edu/fsae/

NetScape Plug-Ins for AIX

Post by Stan Drigg » Sat, 09 Mar 1996 04:00:00

> >  As for Java applet support, Apple and IBM need to get off their
> >collective arses and work with Netscape to get the ports done ASAP.
> >Personally I've never found it particularaly difficult to port software
> >from other UNIX environments to AIX, but the folks at Netscape seem to
> >feel otherwise.

> Perhaps the problem is more with Sun than with Netscape.

Right.  The Feb issue of RS/Mag reported that IBM has finally made a
deal with SUN to license Java.  I don't think Netscape has anything to
do with this.  SUN and Netscape both have an interest in JavaScript,
which is a whole other animal.

Stan
Stan Driggs                        ENSCO, Inc.
Sr. Systems Engineer               ISS Division

Voice: (607) 751-5502              Owego, NY 13827
FAX  : (607) 687-4733

1. Netscape plug-ins on AIX 4

Does anyone know if Netscape supports plug-ins on AIX?  I've a feeling
last time I asked the question they didn't and now they might.

RSVP if you are in the know,

alan
 Alan Donovan, FORE Audio & Video, 14 Regent Street, Cambridge CB2 1DB

2. Where are random()/srandom() functions?

3. plug-ins netscape

4. MCC/SLS bootdisk do not find ST01-controller

5. Netscape helpers and plug-ins, also java help

6. approximate ship time for cd's / t-shirts

7. List of plug-ins for linux/netscape please!

8. Top 10 subjects comp.unix.admin

9. Netscape and Plug-ins

10. Netscape plug-ins

11. Acrobat Reader 4.0 MIME Type for Netscape plug-ins

12. netscape plug-ins

13. Netscape plug-ins, helper files, Acrobat etc.