WN version 1.15.2 released

Post by John Fran » Thu, 11 Jul 1996 04:00:00

                        WN -- a server for HTTP
                Version 1.15.2  now available at
                ftp://ftp.acns.nwu.edu/pub/wn/wn-1.15.2.tar.gz

WN is an HTTP server that runs on most common UNIX platforms and is
available at no cost for any use under the terms of the GNU public
license.  There is much more (and hopefuly better) documentation
for WN than for other servers.

The design of WN emphasizes security and functionality.  It is based
on the use of a small flat database in each directory with information
about the files in that directory.  Fields associated with a file
include its title, and may include keywords, expiration date and any
user defined fields like author or document id.

See an overview at
        <URL:http://hopf.math.nwu.edu/docs/overview.html>

or the entire User's Guide at
        <URL:http://hopf.math.nwu.edu/docs/manual.html>

Features of WN:

        o Stronger Security, based on per directory databases.  Only files
          with permission in the per directory databases may be served.

        o Conditionally included text in parsed documents and conditional
          redirects.  See <URL:http://hopf.math.nwu.edu/docs/parse.html#if>.

        o Support for the Range: header enabling the serving of PDF
          documents using plugins (no byteserver CGI is needed)

        o Support for persistent connections,

        o Support for Host: header, allowing virtual hosts without multiple
          IP addresses for new clients which support this header,

        o Built in support for imagemaps -- easier and more efficient.
          See <URL:http://hopf.math.nwu.edu/docs/click.html>.

        o Support for multiple virtual homes (different data roots
          for different IP interfaces).

        o Optional "verbose" log including Referrer and User-Agent,
          and Cookie, plus a perl script to convert verbose logs to
          Common Log Format.

        o A variety of built-in hierarchy searches including title searches,
          keyword searches, or fielded searches for user defined fields.
          These can be done across the entire server or any sub-hierarchy.

        o Built-in full text searching of text documents in a single
          directory.  This is intended to provide a mechanism for users
          to search a single logical HTML document which may consist of
          many files on the server.  No indexing is required (but it is
          suitable for searching 100 files not 1000).

        o Support for "Keywords:", "Expires:", "Title:" and
          "Refresh:"  HTTP headers for all files (not just HTML
          documents).

        o Secure server side includes and wrappers for HTML documents.

        o Optional per directory access control by hostname or IP address.
          Support for "Basic" authentication and "Digest" authentication
          (Digest authentication is still experimental).

        o Filters.  An arbitrary filter may be assigned to any document
          to process that document on the fly when serving it.

        o Support for the proposed HTTP headers Refresh: and
          Set-Cookie:/Cookie:

        o CGI 1.1 support for forms, etc.

        o Over 200K of documentation.

The features in the list above are all possible without the necessity
of using CGI scripts (except for the CGI support, of course).

WN's functionality was planned with a focus on serving HTML documents.
This means such things as enabling full text searching of a single
logical HTML document which may consist of many files on the server,
or allowing users users to search all titles on the server and obtain
a menu of matching items, or allowing users to download a total
logical document for printing even though the document consists of
many linked files on the server.  All of these are done in a way which
is transparent to the user (and largely transparent to the maintainer!)
The User's Guide at <URL:http://hopf.math.nwu.edu/docs/manual.html>
provides a good example of both of these. But these are only examples of
many new tools WN makes available to webmasters.

AVAILABLE AT:

        ftp://ftp.acns.nwu.edu/pub/wn/wn-1.15.2.tar.gz

address you're sending mail from, send a message to

        subscribe wn-maint your.email.address

John Franks     Dept of Math. Northwestern University

WN version 1.15.2 released

Post by John Fran » Sat, 13 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>                    WN -- a server for HTTP
>            Version 1.15.2  now available at
>            ftp://ftp.acns.nwu.edu/pub/wn/wn-1.15.2.tar.gz

I made a mistake in assembling WN version 1.15.2 for distribution.
I inadvertently used some older versions of some of the files.  So
don't pick this up if you haven't, and I will try to fix things and
get out a new version (named 1.15.3 to avoid confusion).  Sorry about
that.

I have assembled a correct distribution and will get it on the
ftp server as soon as possible.  In the meantime it is available
from
        http://hopf.math.nwu.edu/wn-1.15.3.tar.gz

If you have already installed 1.15.2 there should be no ill effects
except that byteranges via the Range: header will not work.  This
means you will not be able to serve PDF documents and have them
work properly with plugins for Netscape from Adobe.  The 1.15.3
version fixes this and byteranges should work properly (without the
need for any CGI script).

John Franks     Dept of Math. Northwestern University

1. WN version 1.15.6 released

                        WN -- a server for HTTP
                Version 1.15.6  now available at
                ftp://ftp.acns.nwu.edu/pub/wn/wn-1.15.6.tar.gz

WN is an HTTP server that runs on most common UNIX platforms and is
available at no cost for any use under the terms of the GNU public
license.  There is extensive documentation available.  The primary
design goal of WN is security.

WN is especially well suited for servers that must also perform
other tasks.  Both a standalone daemon and a version intended for
use under inetd are provided.  The inetd version is designed to
minimize the use of system resources and it is appropriate for
moderate or lightly loaded servers which cannot be totally dedicated
to Web serving.

[...]

2. Kernel Module Changes between Versions

3. WN 1.15.4 released

4. Large SCSI disks

5. WN version 1.12 released

6. RedHat 5.0 Problems

7. WN version 1.04 released

8. PBG3 questions

9. WN version 1.08 released!

10. WN version 1.18.1 released

11. WN version 1.03 released

12. tcpick 0.1.15 released compatible with *BSD systems.

13. Journaled File System (JFS) release 1.0.15