Can't access Linux web server web pages from LAN client

Can't access Linux web server web pages from LAN client

Post by Jason Langdal » Sun, 16 Mar 2003 06:23:22

I am new  at using Linux and just got Mandrake Linux 9.0 on my machine
and trying setting up a small LAN using the Linux box as my server with
two Mac OS 9 clients and one Window 98 SE client. I only have one of the
Mac's connected to the LAN right now until I learn what the hell I am
diong.

Now for the problem, I setup the DHCP server and got that working and
everthing seems to work fine. Then I got my web sever (Apache 1.3) up
and running. I can access my web pages on the server itself with the
addresses http://localhost/ and http://127.0.0.1/ but can't access them
from my client.
Can somebody please tell me what i'm doing wrong?

Post by 2Host.com - Rober » Sun, 16 Mar 2003 17:26:11

> I am new  at using Linux and just got Mandrake Linux 9.0 on my machine
> and trying setting up a small LAN using the Linux box as my server with
> two Mac OS 9 clients and one Window 98 SE client. I only have one of the
> Mac's connected to the LAN right now until I learn what the hell I am
> diong.

> Now for the problem, I setup the DHCP server and got that working and
> everthing seems to work fine. Then I got my web sever (Apache 1.3) up
> and running. I can access my web pages on the server itself with the
> addresses http://localhost/ and http://127.0.0.1/ but can't access them
> from my client.
> Can somebody please tell me what i'm doing wrong?

More information is needed. You might have port 80 blocked locally via
firewalls or configuration to protect the system from remote
connections, or your ISP might block it (which is common enough). Can
you connect to any other port on your system remotely? Maybe try running
Apache on port 8080 or something else and see if you can connect to the
http://your.ip.address:8080 port. Can you ping it remotely or connect to
any other port, just to rule that out as a problem? What do your error
logs say, or can you not connect to the system whatsoever?
--
Regards,

Server admin, support, programming for shared & dedicated web servers
Secure, reliable hosting you expect and deserve! http://www.2host.com

1. "Can't Access Web Page" trying to access Apache Server

I just installed Apache 1.3 and Red Hat Linux 7.1   Initially I could access
the default Apache Web Page from another host.  Now I can't.  I get "Can't
access web page".  I didn't make any changes to httpd.conf and I really
didn't change much so I have no idea what changed to make it stop working.
Any ideas what could be wrong.  It must be something simple.

Thanks for your help.

 Rich

2. Hear Me, People of the Early 21st Century

3. I can ping my web server but can't open page in web browser

4. emacs

5. Can't access Apache web server from other machines on LAN ?

6. SMC Network Card with FreeBSD 2.2.2

7. Cannot access Linux Web Page or ping linux server from different subnet.

8. Find query

9. Utility to convert PowerPoint "web pages" into real web pages?

10. question regarding securing web pages on an internal web server

11. Linking several web servers for single externel web access

12. Web server problems outside LAN with pages above about 1.1 KB (browsers hang)

13. Linux Web server vs. Sun web server?