Apache server side push question

Post by Rob Hartil » Thu, 14 Mar 1996 04:00:00

> my service provider is running Apache 1.0.3. and to my knowledge the server
> is not pushing the last.Modified date in the http headers... is there any
> way to turn this option on? Any ideas how?

Probably due to use of Server Side Includes. SSI documents are
dynamic and therefore don't have a "last-modified" date. If they
use XBITHACK they can use the group X bit on files to mark
files as wanting a Last-modified header added.

--

The Internet Movie Database (IMDb)  http://us.imdb.org/

Post by Jack L. Knor » Thu, 14 Mar 1996 04:00:00

>> my service provider is running Apache 1.0.3. and to my knowledge the server
>> is not pushing the last.Modified date in the http headers... is there any
>> way to turn this option on? Any ideas how?

>Probably due to use of Server Side Includes. SSI documents are
>dynamic and therefore don't have a "last-modified" date. If they
>use XBITHACK they can use the group X bit on files to mark
>files as wanting a Last-modified header added.

>--

>The Internet Movie Database (IMDb)  http://us.imdb.org/
>           ...more movie info than you can poke a stick at.

Mike Campbell sent me a note as follows;

.
.Hmmmm.  At my site, we are using apache1.0.2, using an SSI of :
.
.Last modified: <!--#echo var="LAST_MODIFIED" --><BR>
.
.and it works just fine.  Is that what you meant?
.

and Yes. That works fine and I just may have to use it in my html documents but I was trying to use (play with) Javascript
which uses the document property of lastModified as follows;

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
<!--  to hide script from non Java capable browsers
document.write("Last Updated: " + document.lastModified);
// end hiding contents from non Java capable browsers  -->
</SCRIPT>

On my local drive it works fine but when I upload the page to the server the script returns
a date of January 1, 1970 (which is the default) adjusted by the GMT difference.

Should not the last modified date be pushed as part of the http header info ?

Thanks,

Jack

Apache server side push question

Post by Jack L. Knor » Thu, 14 Mar 1996 04:00:00

my service provider is running Apache 1.0.3. and to my knowledge the server
is not pushing the last.Modified date in the http headers... is there any
way to turn this option on? Any ideas how?

TIA

--
Jack L. Knorst
* Imagine, if you will, a world with no hypothetical situations.   *

1. Server Side Push with Apache

I am having some difficulties in setting up a server side push using
Apache.  I have set the options in the access.conf:

Options MultiViews

and I have the following little script:

#!/bin/sh
echo "HTTP/1.0 200"
echo "Content-type: multipart/x-mixed-replace;boundary=---ThisRandomString---"
echo ""
echo "---ThisRandomString---"
while true
do
echo "Content-type: text/html"
echo ""
echo "<h2>Processes on this machine updated every 5 seconds</h2>"
echo "time: "
date
echo "<p>"
echo "<plaintext>"
ps -el
echo "---ThisRandomString---"
sleep 5
done

This doesn't work at all.  Nothing shows up at all.  This originall came from
Netscape's web site.

If anybody has any solution to my problem please let me know.

Thanks!

--

                      ,\<.     http://www.cs.usask.ca/undergrads/mtt142
____________________(o)/(o)    U. of S. Computer Sciences

  If you are writing about nothing, are you not writing about something?

2. Crypto info

3. Server side push with Apache

4. ACL's and UFS2 in FreeBSD 5.0 CURRENT?

5. Server-side includes / Server-Push Animation

6. What're '!'and'%' in email address

7. Problem with a server-side push

8. Yet another Java bytecode frontend of gcc

9. Apache Server Side Includes Question

10. getting server side includes to work with apache server

11. Problem getting Server Side Include to work on IBM HTTP Server (Apache Build).

12. Using Server Side JavaScript Appliction on Apache Server

13. Apache, Netscape and server pushes