Apache 1.3.6 compile optimizations ignored?

Apache 1.3.6 compile optimizations ignored?

Post by Blake Sobilof » Fri, 30 Apr 1999 04:00:00

OK, I'm feeling pretty dumb at the moment -- would someone please hit me
with a clue stick? I'm trying to compile Apache 1.3.6 on an old 486
running Red Hat Linux 5.2. I want to add the -m486 compiler optimization
flag to the gcc comands that 'make' issues, so I edit Configuration file
in src. I uncomment the '#OPTIM=' line and change it to 'OPTIM="-m486"',
then run 'make'. I don't see the -m486 option in any of the gcc lines.

I've tried the OPTIM line with single quotes, double quotes, no quotes;
no luck. What am I doing wrong? TIA!
--

Higher Education Consulting
KPMG LLP

Post by Joshua Sliv » Fri, 30 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> OK, I'm feeling pretty dumb at the moment -- would someone please hit me
> with a clue stick? I'm trying to compile Apache 1.3.6 on an old 486
> running Red Hat Linux 5.2. I want to add the -m486 compiler optimization
> flag to the gcc comands that 'make' issues, so I edit Configuration file
> in src. I uncomment the '#OPTIM=' line and change it to 'OPTIM="-m486"',
> then run 'make'. I don't see the -m486 option in any of the gcc lines.
> I've tried the OPTIM line with single quotes, double quotes, no quotes;
> no luck. What am I doing wrong? TIA!

Are you using the "configure" script in the root directory of the
distribution?  If so, all you changes to Configuration are ignored.
You should carefully read the docs in the root directory to figure out
how to do what you want on the configure command line.  I think
something like

OPTIM="-m486" ./configure -prefix=...

will probably work.

--
Joshua Slive

http://finance.commerce.ubc.ca/~slive/

1. How to compile wi/ optimization?

I am a relative newbie to linux, and have mostly been installing things from
rpms, but I am hearing a lot of "compile yourself, it will be faster,
optimized for your machine, etc" I have been building a few things from
source lately, mostly Qt and KDE, but I am wondering how I can make sure that
everything is being optimized properly. Do the configure scripts bundled wi/
most software automatically detect what architecture I am using and turn on
the right optimizations, or do I have to go through and do this myself? What
compiler or configure options are used to turn on optimizations?

Thanks,
Nathan

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. GTK...Game Loop

3. gcc optimisations when compiling the kernel

4. C and GCC Compilers....

5. Compile optimization

6. Several IRC servers on the same machine ??

7. compiling kernel with debug and optimization

8. NetBSD & Sparc Serial Console

9. Compiling the Kernel for Athlon or Celeron processor optimization

10. Compiling X4.0 with optimisations for i686

11. Compile kernel with PCI optimization on?

12. How to compile 4.0.2 with gcc optimizations?

13. compiling a kernle -O2 -fexpensive-optimizations