idiot apache question

Post by leze » Tue, 01 Oct 2002 01:53:50

Apache's Document Root is /var/www/htdocs. I can't seem to link to any
directory outside /var/www. Specifically, I want to create a link to
/home/lezek/shared, but it only works if I connect from the local system,
not from outside. Stuff under /var/www works fine anywhere. All users have
permission to read and traverse /home, /home/lezek and /home/lezek/shared.
Help!

idiot apache question

Post by leze » Tue, 01 Oct 2002 02:21:00

> Apache's Document Root is /var/www/htdocs. I can't seem to link to any
> directory outside /var/www. Specifically, I want to create a link to
> /home/lezek/shared, but it only works if I connect from the local system,
> not from outside. Stuff under /var/www works fine anywhere. All users have
> permission to read and traverse /home, /home/lezek and /home/lezek/shared.
> Help!

well, i figured out a way to get it almost working: an alias from /shared to
/home/lezek/shared. However now no matter what I do it works like
http://myip/shared/ but not http://myip/shared (without the trailing
slash). Oh well, it works (just). :)

idiot apache question

Post by Mark Taylo » Tue, 01 Oct 2002 06:57:40

Quote:> Apache's Document Root is /var/www/htdocs. I can't seem to link to any
> directory outside /var/www. Specifically, I want to create a link to
> /home/lezek/shared, but it only works if I connect from the local
> system, not from outside. Stuff under /var/www works fine anywhere.
> All users have permission to read and traverse /home, /home/lezek and
> /home/lezek/shared. Help!

It's probably your *directory* permissions, not your file permissions.

   http://www.newsfeed.com       The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!

1. idiot apache cgi question

I recently switched from NCSA to Apache and all of my cgi scripts fail.
I get a "malformed header" error in my error log. All of these scripts
worked before, but now they don't. I'm shocked that this must be a
really easy problem, but I cannot figure it out!

Nicolaus G. Bauman / NB106

Graphics 440 / 510 sexton building
529 south seventh street
Minneapolis, MN, USA
55415

v.(612) 338 8228
f.(612) 338 4291
p.(612) 880 3276

2. Which command can list out all user account in Linux machine?

3. Idiot question: Apache 1.3b3 for W95/NT and Perl

4. Multi-booting NT, Win98 and Linux - HELP!

5. compiling apache on linux & idiot's guide to proxy server?

6. 7.1 Doesnot Recognise second Networkcard

7. SunSparc2 Idiot newbie questions

8. Help! Exec Error

9. Idiot desktop question

10. StarOffice 5.0 shared installation question (or, I must be an idiot...)

11. IDIOT NEWBIE QUESTION : kppp and other users

12. resolver idiot question and bind

13. OK, I'm an idiot...DHCP question