Multi-Homed -- How do I setup DNS

Post by Kent Marcu » Wed, 18 Sep 1996 04:00:00

I'm trying to configure primary name servers for web clients.  My
current primary serves my domain only, but now I want to host additional
domains (answering to different IP's).   I desperately need some tips on
this.

NOTE: Running Solaris 2.5 (no NIS)

QUESTIONS:

1. If my named.boot file points to several primary name servers, do I
need different host.db files for each?

2. Would I also need seperate reversing db files for each?

3. What about my local (127.0.0.1) file.  I notice it still points only
to my domain?

4. Do I need to run something in the order of ipconfig to allow the
ethernet to listen to multiple ip's?

5. Am I even on the right track?

6. Does anyone know where some sample bind database files are located
that do what I'm trying to do?

HELP!!!

TIA

Kent Marcus
Zebra.Net

http://www.zebra.net

Multi-Homed -- How do I setup DNS

Post by Justin Youn » Wed, 18 Sep 1996 04:00:00

(snip)

Quote:> 1. If my named.boot file points to several primary name servers, do I
> need different host.db files for each?

Yes!  You need a different zone (hosts) file for each domain!
Quote:> 2. Would I also need seperate reversing db files for each?

No.  Only for separate subnets/networks do you need different reverse
address zone files.
Quote:> 3. What about my local (127.0.0.1) file.  I notice it still points only
> to my domain?

This is okay, too.  No, you don't need a separate cache file either.
Only a hosts (hosts.db) file for each domain.  The only records you must
have are your SOA and NS records.  That's it! (However, most of us
prefer to add a few A and MX records)
Quote:> 4. Do I need to run something in the order of ipconfig to allow the
> ethernet to listen to multiple ip's?
Yup!
> 5. Am I even on the right track?
Oh, yeah!
> 6. Does anyone know where some sample bind database files are located
> that do what I'm trying to do?

Yup.  Go to http://rs.internic.net/! (It answers to
ftp://rs.internic.net/ and gopher://rs.internic.net as well)

I prefer gopher for speed!

Quote:> HELP!!!

Done!  Don't bet on horses!  Bet on greyhounds!
Quote:> TIA
You're welcome!
> Kent Marcus

Good luck, dude!

1. ? multi home + multi cgi, multi email, multi log, multi support

Is there any httpd package that could do not only multi web-home
setup, but also
        email for multi-doamin-names with their own domain-name;
        store log files for each domain-name in their own location;
        setup cgi-bin for each domain-name to have their own directory;
        support autherization and configuration for their own home
?

Does Netscape do that, OpenMarket do that, Or otehrs?

Thanks,

zhao

2. cant connect to SCO 5.0.4 with FDDI DEFPA after a shutdown

3. multi-homed hosts in /etc/hosts, NIS and DNS

4. lpd starting up twice

5. Apache httpd/multi-homed multi-ip addresses

6. red hat 5.0 and window's 95

7. multi-homing and DNS

8. Please suggest a good color printer (for home use)

9. multi-homing setup

10. Home page redirection, done at default router or use dummy DNS

11. HELP: proper way to ARP out a dummy multi-homed address

12. Multi-homed solaris services