UserDir Directive Question

Post by Raymund Varga » Wed, 11 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Hi all!!!

I am trying to setup an apache1.1.3 server which
doesnt make use of the /etc/passwd file for
~username/public_html.  The home directories of
users (ex. /home/u/username) do not have the public_html
dir...instead they're on a different location, let's say
/htdocs/u/username/public_html

The web server has
        document root === /htdocs

and I try to setup userdir as
       UserDir /htdocs/*/*/public_html

which doesn't work because the asterisk (*)
only replaces the username...what I really
want/need is something like
      Userdir /htdocs/[a-z]/*/public_html

Does anyone have an idea as to how I can do this?
What about non-UserDir solutions?
Also, linking the /home/u/username/public_html to the
/htdocs/u/username/public_html is not an option...

TIA

8-)
ray

UserDir Directive Question

Post by Marc Slemk » Thu, 12 Jun 1997 04:00:00

While there are various hacks around designed to modify mod_userdir
to do exactly that, your best bet would be to use mod_rewrite.  It
is available seperately for 1.1.x or, the recommended way, is upgrade
to 1.2.0 and it is distributed with Apache.

mod_rewrite can do this easily.

Quote:>Hi all!!!
>I am trying to setup an apache1.1.3 server which
>doesnt make use of the /etc/passwd file for
>~username/public_html.  The home directories of
>users (ex. /home/u/username) do not have the public_html
>dir...instead they're on a different location, let's say
>/htdocs/u/username/public_html
>The web server has
>    document root === /htdocs

>and I try to setup userdir as
>       UserDir /htdocs/*/*/public_html
>which doesn't work because the asterisk (*)
>only replaces the username...what I really
>want/need is something like
>      Userdir /htdocs/[a-z]/*/public_html
>Does anyone have an idea as to how I can do this?
>What about non-UserDir solutions?
>Also, linking the /home/u/username/public_html to the
>/htdocs/u/username/public_html is not an option...
>TIA
>8-)
>ray

1. USERDIR directive question

I know how to get the Userdir directive to work correctly with a subdir
like PUBLIC_HTML, but I want to be able to make the root of the users'
home directories the default directory when you enter the ~user in a
browser. Does anyone know the correct syntax for this?

Regards,

Bobo

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

2. using expect

3. UserDir Directive

4. Routing Tables

5. Apache Problems with the UserDir Directive

6. Tray selection for HP2100tn

7. Apache UserDir directive

8. Boot Floppy

9. Userdir Directive Help (Repost)

10. How to use UserDir directive in CERN WWW Server

11. Troubles with UserDir Apache directive

12. UserDir directive in apache

13. suexec with userdir directive, possible?