403 forbiden cgi-bin (newbie)

Post by Pablo Brya » Wed, 10 Feb 1999 04:00:00

For some reason I still can't get this to work. I installed apache 1.3.4
on a linux box (RH 5.2) everything went fine the only problem is that I
can't access cgi-bin or any .cgi script on any directory for some
reason. I have tried the following:

chmod 755 cgi-bin
chmod 775 cgi-bin

adding Directive ExecCGI

I crated a user called www and group nobody I did not do anything
special to this user. do I have to?

Please help me as I am trying to convince my boss to change from NT to
Linux web server I know all the advantages of the change I am just
having this little issue, any help is greatly appreciated

TIA

403 forbiden cgi-bin (newbie)

Post by Terry Szucsk » Wed, 10 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> For some reason I still can't get this to work. I installed apache 1.3.4
> on a linux box (RH 5.2) everything went fine the only problem is that I
> can't access cgi-bin or any .cgi script on any directory for some
> reason. I have tried the following:

> chmod 755 cgi-bin
> chmod 775 cgi-bin

Did you chmod 755 the actual script? Making the directory executable
will not help any, it has to be the script in question.

Does the error_log report anything?  This usually helps tremendously in
troubleshooting cgi problems.

Terry

--
Terry Szucsko
The Web Zone, Inc. "Your Internet & Networking Solutions Company"

403 forbiden cgi-bin (newbie)

Post by Michael Nuwe » Sun, 14 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I, too, am a newbie to Linux, and, after installing Red Hat 5.2, had the
same problem as Pablo. Terry, thanks for the help.  My CGIs are working
fine now.

Mike Nuwer

> > For some reason I still can't get this to work. I installed apache 1.3.4
> > on a linux box (RH 5.2) everything went fine the only problem is that I
> > can't access cgi-bin or any .cgi script on any directory for some
> > reason. I have tried the following:

> > chmod 755 cgi-bin
> > chmod 775 cgi-bin

> Did you chmod 755 the actual script? Making the directory executable
> will not help any, it has to be the script in question.

> Does the error_log report anything?  This usually helps tremendously in
> troubleshooting cgi problems.

> Terry

> --
> Terry Szucsko
> The Web Zone, Inc. "Your Internet & Networking Solutions Company"
> Telephone:(408) 567-4275 Fax:(408) 235-8881 URL: www.webzoneinc.com

1. /cgi-bin/phf /cgi-bin/test-cgi /cgi-bin/handler

I've been seeing a number of attacks of this sort recently
from various sites in the http logs.  The time correlation
between the logs on various hosts suggests that the attacker
was scanning sequentially upward in IP addresses.  Since all
tcp and udp packets to ports below 1024 except for http,
smtp, and ident are filtered out for most, including the
attacking, sites, I'm not seeing anything else in the logs.

209.61.73.47 - - [04/Jul/1998:07:19:27 -0500] "GET /cgi-bin/phf" 404 -
209.61.73.47 - - [04/Jul/1998:07:19:28 -0500] "GET /cgi-bin/test-cgi" 404 -
209.61.73.47 - - [04/Jul/1998:07:19:28 -0500] "GET /cgi-bin/handler" 404 -

Is this a signature of some known attackware?  If so, what
other attacks accompany these http probes?

--

2. INN installation and configuration

3. Rewrite and cgi-bin and 403 forbidden

4. best Tapedrive for sun E3500

5. 403 : Forbiden

6. Xeons vs plain P3's

7. cgi-bin/view-source?cgi-bin/view-source

8. Testing Memory Management unit of Linux

9. setting up cgi-bin (newbie)

10. Newbie alert: Setting up users with cgi-bin permissions (linux/apache)

11. Apache cgi-bin newbie problem, ScriptAlias?

12. Newbie cgi-bin question

13. cgi-bin (C bin) hangs under Linux