html not displaying

Post by Lars Oesche » Tue, 06 Feb 2001 21:19:34

Hi,

I still have the problem that .html files aren't displayed, but
offered for download. I added the line AddType text/html .html, but
still, Netscape complains:
(6): You have requested a file of type text/html that netscape can't
display. Chose to download.....
(4.76): You have started to download a file of type
text/x-server-parsed-html

IE doesn't show that much of information, just wants to start a
download.
What's wrong there?

Lars

html not displaying

Post by Max Dittric » Tue, 06 Feb 2001 22:14:14

Hi,

Totally messed up ? Make `mv httpd.conf.default httpd.conf`.

> Hi,

> I still have the problem that .html files aren't displayed, but
> offered for download. I added the line AddType text/html .html, but
> still,

This AddType-directive isnt needed, if youve got included the default
mime.type-file in a TypesConfig-directive and didnt overrided the
MIME-Typ for files ending in .html.

Check the Content-Type-Header your Server is sending when doing a
request via telnet:

$ telnet your.host.com 80

GET /the/file/u/want.html HTTP/1.0
Host: your.host.com <double-return>

Look for the Content-Type field in the response.

Quote:> Netscape complains:
> (6): You have requested a file of type text/html that netscape can't
> display. Chose to download.....
> (4.76): You have started to download a file of type
> text/x-server-parsed-html

> IE doesn't show that much of information, just wants to start a
> download.
> What's wrong there?

Perhaps youve changed the line
#AddType text/x-server-parsed-html .shtml
into
AddType text/x-server-parsed-html .html
and didnt uncomment the AddHandler server-parsed .[s]html.

...max

html not displaying

Post by adam » Tue, 06 Feb 2001 22:15:04

> I still have the problem that .html files aren't displayed, but
> offered for download. I added the line AddType text/html .html, but
> still, Netscape complains:
> (6): You have requested a file of type text/html that netscape can't
> display. Chose to download.....
> (4.76): You have started to download a file of type
> text/x-server-parsed-html

That's helpful, look for somewhere that you have x-server-parsed-html in
your httpd.conf related to .html files instead of .shtml.  If you're
trying to include SSI directives in .html files you've got something
mis-configured.  Send your AddHandler, DefaultType, and
AddType directives as they relate to html/shtml/server-parsed and we'll
try to fix you up.
--
-adam                 | "Be liberal in what you accept, and
Systems Administrator |  conservative in what you send"

html not displaying

Post by Wayne Pasco » Tue, 06 Feb 2001 22:13:31

> Hi,

> I still have the problem that .html files aren't displayed, but
> offered for download. I added the line AddType text/html .html, but
> still, Netscape complains:
> (6): You have requested a file of type text/html that netscape can't
> display. Chose to download.....
> (4.76): You have started to download a file of type
> text/x-server-parsed-html

Stupid question... Did you restart apache after adding this to your
config ?

--
- Wayne Pascoe

Phone : +44 (0) 20 7544 4668
Mobile: +44 (0) 788 431 1675

html not displaying

Post by Lars Oesche » Tue, 06 Feb 2001 23:12:10

On 05 Feb 2001 13:13:31 +0000, Wayne Pascoe

>Stupid question... Did you restart apache after adding this to your
>config ?

Intelligent answer: Yes ;)

html not displaying

Post by Lars Oesche » Tue, 06 Feb 2001 23:11:35

>That's helpful, look for somewhere that you have x-server-parsed-html in
>your httpd.conf related to .html files instead of .shtml.  If you're
>trying to include SSI directives in .html files you've got something
>mis-configured.  Send your AddHandler, DefaultType, and
>AddType directives as they relate to html/shtml/server-parsed and we'll
>try to fix you up.

a 'grep x-server *' just brought
srm.conf.old:AddType text/x-server-parsed-html html
srm.conf~:AddType text/x-server-parsed-html html

so there shouldn't be anything wrong.

from httpd.conf:

    #
    # To use server-parsed HTML files
    #
    AddType text/html .shtml
    AddHandler server-parsed .shtml
    AddHandler server-parsed .html

DefaultType text/plain

that's all I can find.

Lars

BTW: Why do I have two magic files, one samll in /etc/httpd and a big
one in /usr/share/misc?

html not displaying

Post by Lars Oesche » Tue, 06 Feb 2001 23:06:17

On Mon, 05 Feb 2001 14:14:14 +0100, Max Dittrich

>Totally messed up ? Make `mv httpd.conf.default httpd.conf`.

did that. That's what confuses me even more. Since this is an update,
the only thing I could think of, is that it includes some old configs
like srm.conf, but I moved those away (the ones in /etc/httpd at
least)

Quote:>Look for the Content-Type field in the response.

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 13:11:55 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.12 (Unix)  (SuSE/Linux) mod_fastcgi/2.2.2
mod_perl/1.24 PHP/4.0.0
Last-Modified: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 12:12:14 GMT
ETag: "21802-479b-3a7e989e"
Accept-Ranges: bytes

Quote:>Perhaps youve changed the line
>#AddType text/x-server-parsed-html .shtml
>into
>AddType text/x-server-parsed-html .html
>and didnt uncomment the AddHandler server-parsed .[s]html.

moved the httpd.conf.rpmnew to httpd.conf, and only adjusted
DocumentRoot and UserDir, so this one should be really default...

Quote:>...max

Lars

html not displaying

Post by Lars Oesche » Wed, 07 Feb 2001 00:57:06

On Mon, 05 Feb 2001 13:19:34 +0100, Lars Oeschey

>I still have the problem that .html files aren't displayed, but

strange. Some ppl on the germanspeaking group said everything works
ok, could someone verify that?
Example: http://www.warkraft.de , the guestbook link
or http://www.the-core.net/graphics/intro.html (beware, 600k flash)

Lars
(could our proxy be a problem then, if eversthing really works from
outside?)

html not displaying

Post by David Efflan » Wed, 07 Feb 2001 09:59:56

>>That's helpful, look for somewhere that you have x-server-parsed-html in
>>your httpd.conf related to .html files instead of .shtml.  If you're
>>trying to include SSI directives in .html files you've got something
>>mis-configured.  Send your AddHandler, DefaultType, and
>>AddType directives as they relate to html/shtml/server-parsed and we'll
>>try to fix you up.

>a 'grep x-server *' just brought
>srm.conf.old:AddType text/x-server-parsed-html html
>srm.conf~:AddType text/x-server-parsed-html html

>so there shouldn't be anything wrong.

Yes there is, look closely at your statements above and the info
below.  You are using AddType where you should be using AddHandler.

Quote:>from httpd.conf:

>    #
>    # To use server-parsed HTML files
>    #
>    AddType text/html .shtml
>    AddHandler server-parsed .shtml
>    AddHandler server-parsed .html

>DefaultType text/plain

>that's all I can find.

>Lars

>BTW: Why do I have two magic files, one samll in /etc/httpd and a big
>one in /usr/share/misc?

Could be that the big one is used by mailcap or something similar to
determine the MIME type of mail.

html not displaying

Post by Lars Oesche » Wed, 07 Feb 2001 19:16:14

>>srm.conf.old:AddType text/x-server-parsed-html html
>>srm.conf~:AddType text/x-server-parsed-html html
>Yes there is, look closely at your statements above and the info
>below.  You are using AddType where you should be using AddHandler.

look closely at the statements: The files are srm.conf.old, and
srm.conf~, both of which aren't used ;)

funny enough, the problem is only inside our network. Perhaps the
proxy has something to do with it?

Lars