IE shows 404 page for 404 status response

IE shows 404 page for 404 status response

Post by Studio 5 » Sat, 27 Jan 2001 18:03:52

After reading the subject, I'm sure you're thinking "duh...", but hear me
out.What I'm trying to do is make a custom error page, so instead of 404
errors the user sees my custom made error page. In netscape, it returns my
custom page and all works great. Then I look at it in IE5 and I see the same
bland 404 document I've seen a million times (This is the windows 404
document, not something apache returned to it). I guess what happens is IE
sees "status 404" and says "Oh, well I'll display my 404 document then". The
end result is IE users aren't seeing my custom 404 page.

Is there any way to force apache to NOT return the 404 status when a 404
error occurs, and instead just silently display my custom page like it was
the one requested?

LKembel

Post by adam » Sat, 27 Jan 2001 21:52:00

> After reading the subject, I'm sure you're thinking "duh...", but hear me
> out.What I'm trying to do is make a custom error page, so instead of 404
> errors the user sees my custom made error page. In netscape, it returns my
> custom page and all works great. Then I look at it in IE5 and I see the same
> bland 404 document I've seen a million times (This is the windows 404
> document, not something apache returned to it). I guess what happens is IE
> sees "status 404" and says "Oh, well I'll display my 404 document then". The
> end result is IE users aren't seeing my custom 404 page.

> Is there any way to force apache to NOT return the 404 status when a 404
> error occurs, and instead just silently display my custom page like it was
> the one requested?

IE won't display your custom error pages unless the file size is greater
than some amount (don't remember exactly, try just putting a bunch of
spaces in the file, or searching this newsgroup, this question comes up
often).

--
-adam                   | "Be liberal in what you accept, and
Systems Admininistrator |  conservative in what you send"

IE shows 404 page for 404 status response

Post by Studio 5 » Sun, 28 Jan 2001 00:31:43

Quote:> IE won't display your custom error pages unless the file size is greater
> than some amount (don't remember exactly, try just putting a bunch of
> spaces in the file, or searching this newsgroup, this question comes up
> often).

Thank you! Considering right now my page consists only of "404" I bet that's
the problem.

LKembel

Post by Mike » Mon, 29 Jan 2001 23:22:57

> > IE won't display your custom error pages unless the file size is
greater
> > than some amount (don't remember exactly, try just putting a bunch
of
> > spaces in the file, or searching this newsgroup, this question
comes up
> > often).

> Thank you! Considering right now my page consists only of "404" I bet
that's
> the problem.

> LKembel

I think it needs to be more than 512 bytes.

Mike

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/