[ Advice needed on real-time application. ]

[ Advice needed on real-time application. ]

Post by kai cha » Mon, 02 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Hi,
 I'm about to develop a client / server application on the web. A client
applet constantly receives new data every few seconds. The client will also
request various different information from a database on the server. I'm
planning to write the server using Java using Server_Sockets and JDBC. I'm
expecting around 100 - 200 people to access the server at any one time.
Each user will have a small amount of account information. I'll be using
Java 1.0.*.

 The following is a rough specification I've roughed out:

 1. Plateform. Pentium II 233. 512 MB Memory.
 2. O/S NT Server 4.0
 3. Java VM on NT server ( with MicroSoft's Java SDK and its  JIT
compiler?? )
 4. Web Server. ( Java Web Server?, IIS ? or BSDI? NetObjects Fusion? )
 5. DBMS ( MS SQL Server ? )

Does anyone have any advice or comments?
     1. Robustness? on all components, points of failurer [ Most important ]
     2. Efficiency? Or Inefficiency of the various parts.
     3. Speed of processing of the machine.?
     ???

Much help appreciated.
Thanx in advance
kai

[ Advice needed on real-time application. ]

Post by BigHea » Tue, 03 Feb 1998 04:00:00

1. Since you make the server yourself, there is no need for server again.
2. Java socket does not close correctly until now. Bug??

--
Best Regards
 Wang Minjiang

web:     http://www.nussu.nus.sg/nussu/stud/engp6857/
  http://137.132.165.224/wmj/wmj0.html

[ Advice needed on real-time application. ]

Post by Alexander Sergee » Tue, 03 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Hello, Kai!

> Hi,
>  I'm about to develop a client / server application on the web. A client
> applet constantly receives new data every few seconds. The client will also
> request various different information from a database on the server. I'm
> planning to write the server using Java using Server_Sockets and JDBC. I'm
> expecting around 100 - 200 people to access the server at any one time.
> Each user will have a small amount of account information. I'll be using
> Java 1.0.*.

 This task can be developed by our product - Baikonur Enterprise Web App Server
with JAT components.
Server-side application can be developed with the help of Borland Delphi.
Using Delphi is better than Java because Delphi is a true compiler, no
interpreting.
With Delphi applications you can use Windows NT Server with 1 or 2 Pentium.
You can use Delphi components (JAT-components), but on the client side this
application is showed as Java-applet (30K) - one applet for any server
application.

JAT is a very new technology, and we will show this on CEBIT'98 Hannover.

Best regards,
--
Alexander Sergeev
Epsylon Technologies , home of Baikonur Web App Server

http://www.demo.ru

[ Advice needed on real-time application. ]

Post by Robert McDerm » Thu, 05 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

> 1. Plateform. Pentium II 233. 512 MB Memory.
> 2. O/S NT Server 4.0
> 3. Java VM on NT server ( with MicroSoft's Java SDK and its  JIT
>compiler?? )
> 4. Web Server. ( Java Web Server?, IIS ? or BSDI? NetObjects Fusion? )
> 5. DBMS ( MS SQL Server ? )

If you have the option. I'd recommend putting 4) and 5) on a
Unix box (not an Intel-based one, but a proper workstation).
Almost any workstation will have better performance as a web
server, and probably for the DBMS as well, due to much better
I/O capabilities.  That's been my (somewhat subjective) experience
anyway.  I/O on PC's is still very primitive.  SQL Server's kind
of the bottom-end of DBMS's, but isn't bad.  As long as you are
sure you're never going to have to scale it - Oracle or DB/2
can be run on any machine up to a mainframe, but SQL Server is
limited to NT.  SQL Server does respond fairly well to having
additional processors though, so you might want to buy a machine
with room to add a few.

I'd also recommend testing with both Microsoft's VM and Sun's
VM.  I've heard of some (rare) difficulties with multithreading
with Microsoft's VM, so you might actually get better performance
out of Sun's (with JIT).  It's hard to say - that sort of thing
is almost impossible to pin down and is usually a bug in your own
code, but it's worth the effort to try it anyway.

-- Rob

Rob McDermid           Hummingbird Communications Ltd.
                       All opinions expressed are my own.
SPAM CONTROL:  Remove the dots from address before e-mailing